Oil Filer removal tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pomsby

Car
Mercedes CLS350 CDI Blueefficiency AMG SPORT
Hi, can anyone tell me which tool I need to remove my oil filter cap on Mercedes CLS 350 W218. I have seen some online stating 78mm x 14 flutes, 74.5mm x 14 flutes and 84mm x 14 flutes. Thanks in advance for any help given.

Have you measured across the flutes to see whether your cap is 84, 78 or 74.5 mm?

Thanks for your reply. I haven't measured across them yet. The vehicle is not with me at the moment, I was just online trying to buy the tool. I'll have to wait until the vehicle is back.

I've just got one of those rubber strap jobs - that will take almost any size of filter housing.

Buy the proper size fluted tool. You wont gain access with pliers that are designed for metal type screw on oil filters also theres a chance you can break the housing .

Just wait till you get the car back on inspection you just might find its the cartridge type .Mercedes did use both types screw on spin off -and cartridge.

I bought the genuine MB tool from MB Newcastle. The problem with some fluted tools is that they can slip on very tight filter housings, the MB tool is quite a substantial casting with two screws that grip the housing and prevent any slipping.

Never had any problem removing mine they should be fitted hand tight only . But you can get oil filters with a ring spanner fitting on the bottom.

Never had any problem removing mine they should be fitted hand tight only . But you can get oil filters with a ring spanner fitting on the bottom.

Mercedes have moved on since those dark days. Most engines now use paper cartridge types with a plastic screw on housing on top of the engine block . Most of the mercs ive owned since 2004 have been like this...

Mercedes have moved on since those dark days. Most engines now use paper cartridge types with a plastic screw on housing on top of the engine block . Most of the mercs ive owned since 2004 have been like this...

And what a huge improvement it is. You don't have to get under the car, the screw on housing comes off fuss free with a socket on the top and not a drop of oil need be spilled as it just drains back into the sump when the cover is loosened. I can't remember what the socket size is but any decent socket set will have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom