Oil filler cap blown off

Discussion in 'AMG Lounge' started by g5und, Jul 30, 2017.

1. g5und

g5und Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 Edition 507 AMG Coupe
    So I was driving my 507 today close to home. Gave it full throttle and then noticed I'd lost power steering and the battery warning message came up. Managed to just get it home - those things without power steering are almost impossible to move!

Anyway, opened the bonnet and there was oil EVERYWHERE! Noticed the oil filler cap was off and lying close by. Also noticed the power steering/alternator belt had come off. Now given that it's only very recently had a service, my guess is they hadn't tightened the oil filler cap properly. It's also a guess that the oil spill caused the belt to slip off hence the loss of power steering.

Anyone know of another reason why the cap was blown off? It's still under warranty til September so was recovered and taken to MB earlier.

2. Steveml63

Steveml63 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML63 AMG
    Bottom end pressure - leaky piston rings?

3. Trickythemerc

Trickythemerc Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK 220 CDI Sport 2009
    A massive increase in crankcase compression could blow the filler cap off, but I am sure there would have been some major engine issue to cause that to happen.

4. OP
    OP
    g5und

Car:
    So could be serious then... sigh. Just as well it's still under warranty.

5. timskemp

timskemp Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W213 E220d
    I suspect it wasn't properly attached. My friends Volvo blew its dipstick out once with similar results!

6. OP
    OP
    g5und

Car:
    This is what I'm hoping is the case. Still a bit confused why the belt came off though... surely getting oil on the belt shouldn't cause it to slip off?

7. zipdip

zipdip Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    s320
    Well at least it happened close to home.

8. V8andTurbos

V8andTurbos Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MK5 Golf GTI + C63 AMG
    No ideas re the oil cap but wouldn't surprise me if Mercedes left it unlocked. Done the same on my mums clk and oil was everywhere. Bloody idiots

My 204 63 ate the belt, according to mechanic was due to faulty tensioners. £300 later and it was fixed

9. Auto-mobile

Auto-mobile Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2x c43 Amg clio 172 turbo 314bhp
    Cap won't have been fitted properly, now way is crank case pressure going to to blow a Merc cap off.

10. OP
    OP
    g5und

Car:
    Ill get a call from them this morning no doubt when they realise it's been dumped on their forecourt. I'm waiting for the 'have you removed the cap since the service' question...

It was serviced at a different dealership to where it's been recovered but either way, it's all MB and certainly not my fault.

11. kid-jensen

kid-jensen Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML 320 W164
    If you have excessive crankcase pressure, you will be stroring up problems which will surface after the guarantee runs out....

The dealer should be asked to confirm that it wasn't the crankcase pressure that blew the cap off, preferrably with a reading of the pressure indicating that it is "normal"...

12. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
  13. OP
    OP
    g5und

Car:
    So I've just heard from my MB dealership who have verified that the crank case pressure isn't at fault and can only assume the cap was left loose. Good news really. It'll need a new belt, cleaning down the engine bay and "possibly a new cap as it's slightly lose but wouldn't have come off"

Anyway, they're claiming this can't be covered under warranty as it wasn't serviced by them. Needless to say, I told them to go away and figure it out with the dealership who serviced the car. Either way, surely I can't be expected to pick up that cost?!

I can see this turning into a battle of blame here... GRRR

14. AngryDog

AngryDog Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E60 M5
    Surely if it was serviced by an MB dealer / Indy with MB parts then it still be covered by warranty? Sounds like they're trying to have you off.

15. V8andTurbos

V8andTurbos Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MK5 Golf GTI + C63 AMG
    This is shocking. Their fault ( Mercedes network ) and they won't pick up the blame? Honestly the lack of customer service from Mercedes puts me off buying another.

Stick to your guns and don't let them get away with it. Not to worry you but depending how much oil the car lost I'd be checking engine health as well and asking for a courtesy car whilst yours is away. Call the dealership at fault and speak to the service manager..

16. njkmr

njkmr Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Sadly im not at all surprised...
    Trying to worm out of it is par for the course..

17. Auto-mobile

Auto-mobile Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2x c43 Amg clio 172 turbo 314bhp
    Not an ideal car to let the apprentice "have a go"

18. PhilT

PhilT Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 AMG Saloon
    Tbh It isnt the dealers fault as you didnt get it serviced there so I wouldn't expect them to sort it. Why have you not gone back to the dealer that did? That should have been the place to go back to even if you have dealer warranty.

19. OP
    OP
    g5und

Car:
    It was serviced before I bought it 200 miles away from where I live. It's not practical to take it back there.

Agree it isn't their fault and to be fair, they've done the ringing around to try and get the servicing dealer to take responsibility. Not surprisingly they're refusing to accept liability. To get the car back, I'm paying out £350 and I'll raise a dispute with the original MB dealer and MB UK to try and claim it back. Not holding my breath though.

20. njkmr

njkmr Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Thieving C££ts...!