Oil Filler Cap extremely tight W202 V6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tjamesbo

Car
CLK430 ,Vito V6 sport ,Jaguar 2.5 X type ,W124's 1993 220TE , 1994 320TE ,Mastercraft X5
I've noticed this over the last few years, the Oil Filler cap on the wifes W202 seems to be getting harder and harder to get off. I now have to try and do it after a run when everythings Hot . I have before on occasion used a pair of molegrips wrapped with a towel. Is it time to replace it ? is it the rubber on the seal gone hard ? you cant put anything on the seal other than engine Oil
What worries me now is having resealed all the valve covers I can see that the filler neck is seperate to the cover casting, and excessive force could force it off its locating screw Then its a valve cover off jobbie to replace :eek:
I've now talked myself into getting a new one but has anyone else had this and did a new one sort it
Boyd

I don't know if this is a Merc thing, but every one I've had has been the same. I think you can get a proper tool to remove it but, like you, I use a mole grips,

There is no easy way to say this, have you considered someone else is tightening your wife's filler cap? :p

Or gym membership?

Try a little Vaseline, it may not dry out like oil. it wont do any harm to the engine when i do rebuilds i coat the oil pump in it to get good vacuum from the first start.

i aim to please but shoot to kill.

I don't know what the V6-ness has to do with it?

But anyway, yeah mine is slowly getting harder to remove too, it's still very manageable though, man up. :D

Same here on my E55 when I got it. A new cap solved the problem.

I've just got big strong mitts...

But sometimes I need water pump pliers too.

If you have ever had the valve covers off you can see its a separate part and its not too difficult to imagine a good yank on the moles causing it to jump out of its locating tags or break:eek: as its a thin magnesium casting , then its a valve cover off job to fix it:eek: and thats what worried me ,having just done that to renew the seals , as said as writing I talked myself into a new one at .... £21.67 !! someone on the other forum paid £5 for one for a V6 diesel so whats going on there?
Too late for the vaseline now its ordered
Reminds me of the vaseline survey
" yes we use it when having sex " " oh yes ? " " we put it on the door handles to stop the kids getting in ! "
I shall try the vaseline on the 430's

Last edited:
Mb replaced mine for free when my car was serviced by them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom