Oil filter removal tool £17.50????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jackgilroy

Went to the dealer last week to get the oil filter removal tool and they said it was around £17.50 and they don't carry them in stock.

I've heard several different prices for these. Is there more than one type of tool? It's for a w124 E220 1995. Someone said that they should only cost £5ish. Can anyone help me out here

cheers
jack

The only tool I can think of looks like 3 bars or prongs that can move around a centre axis. These then lock onto the various types of oil filter and the tool then used to extract/unscrew the filter.

Would not Hellfrauds *Ahem* I mean Halfords :p sell this oil filter removal tool for a fair price? Or any local motor factor?

You could also try PM'ing jimmy.

S.

go to any good car shop and they normally do them for about a fiver, usually consist of a litle bar with either loop attached made of strapping or a chain, you put the strapping/chain around filter and use lever to take strain and lever off, halfords will do them or any decent motor factors. The filter cap on my w202 is plastic so ive got a strapping one (dont want to damage plastic with chain) But if yours is just the metal filter a chain one offers more leverage.

No idea if it applies to your engine, but on the 104 (3.2L) the filter tool is a 76mm "socket".

They are about 4 quid from the "accessory shop on the corner".

Or this lot: www.laserhandtools.com.

Just buy the proper Mercedes tool - about £10 from the dealership.
I got one recently and it is better than trying to use a "universal" type kit or straps etc!
Cheers,
Will

My stealer wouldn't sell me one saying it's a MB workshop only tool. No problem though because Jimmy got me one. It looks like a huge shallow socket that fits exactly over the oil filter lid, it was not exbensive either:)

Yeah I'm talking about the Merc oil filter removal tool. I have a normal chain one but wanted to use the proper tool, the lid over the oil filter looks plastic hence I didn't want to try.

I said previous my local DEALER has told me the MERC tool is £17.50! Which is either then making a huge profit or they are talking about a different part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom