Oil filter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Funkyboy

Car
E class
Hi all,

Anyone know who Mercedes use for their oil filters in the 651 engine?
I used Mann last time but it looked slightly different from the original one I changed

Thanks

Mann, Mahle, Knecht, Bosch, are all fine.

My experience is that MB use Knecht for oil filters, and Mann for fuel and air filters, but they may be using other brands as well.

But if you want an identical filter to the MB one, check the filter manufacturer's part number on the original MB filter (i.e. not the MB part number) and then order the same direct from filter manufacturer.

Keep in mind that the original MB filter isn't that expensive, though....

Last edited:
See for example:

sprinter-oil-filter_1024x1024.jpg

This filter has the MB Part Number on it, and the manufacturer's part number: MANN HU821.

So in this case, if you buy a MANN HU821 filter, you'll get an identical filter to the original MB part.

If you don't have the original MB filter to hand, but you know the MB part number, try Googling the MB part number and look for a photo online (eBay etc) that will show the filer with both part numbers (as per the photo above).

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 190
I've had a Hengst oil filter supplied by MB as a genuine MB part; not for the same engine though.

Mann, Mahle, Knecht, Bosch, are all fine.

My experience is that MB use Knecht for oil filters, and Mann for fuel and air filters, but they may be using other brands as well.

But if you want an identical filter to the MB one, check the filter manufacturer's part number on the original MB filter (i.e. not the MB part number) and then order the same direct from filter manufacturer.

Keep in mind that the original MB filter isn't that expensive, though...

Looked at the Knecht filter and it was definitely the same. Has the plastic on top

Hengst and Bosch are crème de la crème for the OM651 .

2020-05-01 16.25.12.jpg

2020-05-01 16.28.22.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom