Oil for the twin turbo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

janner

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320 Turbo Technics
I need to change the oil in the E320 M104 twin turbo.
At the moment I'm using Mobil1 0-40 but when it's really hot (eg traffic jams) the oil pressure drops to 1.5 bar. Would I be better off with a different oil?
I'm thinking Mobil1 15-50 or Castrol Edge 10-60.

Thoughts?

I thought that was normal though

As it is turbocharged I would stick with the Mobil1.

0-40 or 15-50 then?

It really does get hot under there and before the turbos were fitted the oil pressure was always 3bar. Car has done about 70K miles in total (<10k of that with the turbos)

I need to change the oil in the E320 M104 twin turbo.
At the moment I'm using Mobil1 0-40 but when it's really hot (eg traffic jams) the oil pressure drops to 1.5 bar. Would I be better off with a different oil?
I'm thinking Mobil1 15-50 or Castrol Edge 10-60.

Thoughts?

I'm aware I've missed something here J but can you tell me more about your twin turbo E320 - it sounds very interesting.

I converted my E320 coupe with a Hughes kit a couple of years ago.

tt1.jpg

What BHP?

280bhp and 350ft/lbs.
It should make a lot more but hey ho that's what the dyno said. I'm sure it overfuels on boost though so with some tinkering I'm sure there's more in there. If I had the inclination I would adjust the fuel map (it's 3d programmable) but I'm happy with it as is.

You should be getting at least 320-330,many people that had TT and 500e swear the TT feels faster

We've digressed. Oil recommendation please.:)

fit an oil cooler, and keep the same weight oil you have.

source from diesel 124, or the... in fact has your car already got an oil cooler? if so, fit a bigger rad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom