Oil for W208

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Mark

Car
CLK 230 CONVERTIBLE
has anyone used The Mobil 1 New Life 0W/40 Oil. they say it is engineered for the latest engine technology, the ideal product for newer vehicles or older vehicles in good condition. or just stick to normal mobil 1. the new life oil is cheeper than the normal oil ?

I'd wouldn't put fully syn in a W208 230k so wouldn't recommend either :rolleyes: and my feelings about Mobil 1 are well known on this forum :D

There again I got 335k out of my Volvo245 running it on full syth. Engine was as sweet as a nut when it was written off by a big lorry whilst it was parked. Rest of car was a bit past its use-by.
Imo Mobil 1 will preserve the engine for far longer than a conventional oil. Mobil 1 New Life meets MB 229.3

I use Mobil super 2000 from opie oils

some people say use mobile 1 and some say dont, why ? and what do you think is the best one to use i have got it in for a service thursday and want to find out what is best one to use, my car has got 69k on the clock. also is 5 ltr enough ?

I went from using Mobile 1 040 full syn, to regular castrol oil for a couple years and now i'm back on Mobile 1 full syn with no identifiable problems or leaks so far. Planning on using mobile 1 syn till the end of the cars life.

some people say use mobile 1 and some say dont, why ? and what do you think is the best one to use i have got it in for a service thursday and want to find out what is best one to use, my car has got 69k on the clock. also is 5 ltr enough ?

Its really down to personal feelings - Some people Love Mobil, Some people Love Castrol

The Fully Syn vs Part Syn argument is another one - Some say that putting a fully syn oil, which is a thinner grade into an older higher mileage engine will cause the engine to burn it off, as its 'over engineered'

Others say that if its a good engine, why not treat it to the best

Looking at what we list specific to the car is interesting,

Semi Syns:

Shell Helix HX7 10w40 5ltr @ £22.00 [£25.40 forum price]

Castrol Magnatec 10W40 4 Ltr For Diesel or Petrol @ £21.41 [£14.99 forum price]

Valvoline Engine Oil (Durablend Semi-Synthetic 10W40 Engine Oil (5 Litre) | Euro Car Parts UK @ £29.66 [£20.76 forum price]

Fully Syn Options:

Castrol Mercedes-Benz Edge Fully Synthetic 0W30 Engine Oil (4 Litre) | Euro Car Parts UK @ £37.99 [£26.60 forum price]

Valvoline Mercedes-Benz Synpower Fully-Synthetic 5W30 Engine Oil (4 Litre) | Euro Car Parts UK @ £31.18 [£21.83 forum price]

TRIPLE QX 5w30 Fully Synthetic (Low Saps C3) Engine Oil 5Ltr @ £35.99 [£25.19 forum price]

All of those oils either Meet or exceed the original requirements of the vehicle, Its strange that i don't have a listing for Mobil, however for comparison these are the popular ones:

Mobil 0W40 5L @ £49.99 [£34.99 forum price]
Opie Price: £37.50

Mobil Super 2000 X1 10W40 5 Litre @ £28.00 [£19.60 forum price]
Opie Price: £21.06

Hope that helps!

Patrick

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom