Oil fron oi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Digenis

Car
BMW
Hi I went to view a 230e 1992 estate yesterday and need some advice please. The car itself is ok for its age runs well no nasty noises,but, when I took the oil filler cap off when the engine was running, oil gushed out of the top and over the engine and myself. I've never seen this before? Car does not smoke? What could it be? Should I walk away?

If it's not burning oil then probably a blocked/gunged up crankcase breather system. If it is burning oil and you just didn't notice then the crankcase breather could just be overwhelmed due to excessive blow by although the breathers are still pretty much guarenteed to be partly gunged up i.e. it's probably a bit of a both if it chucked out that much oil
Why three threads on the same subject?
Three goes to get the thread title (which users can't edit :dk:) right?

I've seen a 2006 Hyundai blow oil vapour out of the cap if you take it off whilst the engine is running. - It's no ideal, and it makes a mess, but there's nothing particularly wrong.

Logically any crankcase vapour will take the path of least resistance, so if you take the filler cap off that's out through the large hole you've just made.

It depends on the location of the filler cap.... if its right above a cam lobe or the timing chain then it will splash oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DTQEDt7-DU or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q9_UnsXcVY

Both have the oil cap in the rocker/valve cover like the m102 engine in a 230te. Neither or them are chucking any significant amounts of oil let alone...
...when I took the oil filler cap off when the engine was running, oil gushed out of the top and over the engine and myself.
Unless someone was revving the engine like a teenager at the time that is not normal. If someone was revving the engine like a teenager then please tell us that the proper precautions were taken first i.e. a video camera and a youtube account :D
FWIW i've owned several 123s and 124s with the m102 engine and just like pretty much every car i've ever bought would've removed the oil cap while the engine was idling along with smelling the engine & atf dipsticks etc when looking it over before buying. If the oil cap is in the rocker cover then pulsing air that, at most, feels a bit oily is all that should happen

It depends on the location of the filler cap.... if its right above a cam lobe or the timing chain then it will splash oil.

This is a lot of Oil coming out! I've never ever seen a car do that?

If it's not burning oil then probably a blocked/gunged up crankcase breather system. If it is burning oil and you just didn't notice then the crankcase breather could just be overwhelmed due to excessive blow by although the breathers are still pretty much guarenteed to be partly gunged up i.e. it's probably a bit of a both if it chucked out that much oil

Three goes to get the thread title (which users can't edit :dk:) right?

On a test drive I never noticed any smoke. What you say makes logical sense. Could it also be worn piston rings?

Step away from the question marks. You're unqualified to use them safely. :cool:

This is a lot of Oil coming out! I've never ever seen a car do that?

As said it depends on the layout of the cam chain and rocker cover. I've had engines that spit oil up at the cap. You're not supposed to take the cap off with the engine running. Others don't and you can, but still probably shouldn't.

In either case it's not a sign of a problem.

You should have done a dip test though with the dipstick after the engine has been off for about 5 minutes, to test it's not been overfilled, overfilling can sometimes be very bad for an engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom