Oil grade query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ant-toe-knee

Car
Facelift W211
The last two service stamps noted 0w 40 oil and according to opie and halfords it's 5w 40 on my 57 E220 CDI . Should I be confused?

Also had do I find out if it has DPF?

Thank you and Merry Xmas

The last two service stamps noted 0w 40 oil and according to opie and halfords it's 5w 40 on my 57 E220 CDI . Should I be confused?

Thank you and Merry Xmas

Nothing to worry about if the oil meets MB approval. It probably means your dealer has bought several 50 gallon drums of the 0W40 and has "standardised"on this for all oil changes whether the car really requires it or not. If it has a DPF it must run a low SAPS [ ash residue]oil 228.51

Thank you and Merry Xmas

0-40 is fine

Mic

Oils and grades are NOT to be played with. Can everything that you read on labels and specs / invoices be certified and taken for real. Get an expert on board. On a first hand ''smell -and-see-basis ''. The best judges /critics of oils you'll find are miners and drillers.

s

I have previously contacted my dealer giving him my chassis number. They told me straight away, that I didn't have one fitted ...thankfully.
Someone here has access to what i think they call data cards for each vehicle and will be able to tell you exactly what the vehicle was fitted with when it came out of the factory. They will need you chassis number. can't remember who it is at the mo sorry.:doh:

oil grade is easy and in 3 parts

10w40 se for instance

at cold (0c) its as thick as single grade 10

at hot (100c) its as thick as single grade 40

se is the wear performance identifier, mainly quoted as se or sg but modern oils are much higher in the alphabet

never buy oil whose first figure is higher than the recommended grade

never buy oil whose second figure is lower than the recommended grade

never buy oil whose s figure is lower in the alphabet than the recommended grade

i.e if recommended 10w40 se (the commonest spec

0w40 is better as is 0w50 ....... sg is better than se sh better than sg etc

full synthetic is better than semi synthetic is better than mineral oil

it is pointless using full synthetic in an engine designed for mineral oil but semi synthetic is a sensible upgrade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom