oil in my coolant clk240

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dr51ngy

Car
Mercedes CLK240 Avantgarde
hi there guys,

i have a clk240 2002 and it recently had its gearbox reconditioned. however its been a few months now and after having a health check from merc, they reported that oil was in the coolant reservoir. i have checked again today by a garage who did my oil change and they saw quite abit of oil s he dipped his finger in the coolant. he said it could be that the oil cooler could be at fault or a more serious problem which could be a head gasket. my problem now is what to do. should i flush the coolant and see if it happens again, replace the oil cooler and flush system again or would it be a head gasket problem? the gearbox was reconditioned and the radiator was changed at the same time. and could any1 tell me what coolant i should add and how much of it? euro car parts have triple qx up as recommended which is in a blue colour but halfords seem to say that comma extreme g48 is the one for the car.

thanks for the help in advance

ps any tips or advice on what i could do would be much appreciated

dr51ngy said:
hi there guys, i have a clk240 2002 and it recently had its gearbox reconditioned. however its been a few months now and after having a health check from merc, they reported that oil was in the coolant reservoir. i have checked again today by a garage who did my oil change and they saw quite abit of oil s he dipped his finger in the coolant. he said it could be that the oil cooler could be at fault or a more serious problem which could be a head gasket. my problem now is what to do. should i flush the coolant and see if it happens again, replace the oil cooler and flush system again or would it be a head gasket problem? the gearbox was reconditioned and the radiator was changed at the same time. and could any1 tell me what coolant i should add and how much of it? euro car parts have triple qx up as recommended which is in a blue colour but halfords seem to say that comma extreme g48 is the one for the car. thanks for the help in advance ps any tips or advice on what i could do would be much appreciated
Bump

if its the head gasket, GSF do a liquid sealer called, I think, real steel, a couple of bottles should do it.

If its HGF do not put liquid sealers in the coolant 90 percent of the time they dont work and if it does it will not last, liquid sealers can block up heater matrix etc

Never use sealers to remedy a water leak, as said before.
They are not a permanent fix & can cause more problems.
As said, get an accurate diagnosis from a decent garage.

The vast majority (pretty sure it's all?) of the liquid "fixes" have ZERO chance of fixing an oil leak into the cooling system. Brands like K seal and steel steal categorically state that they won't fix things when oil and coolant are mixing and the only leaks that they might plug are coolant to atmosphere

dr51ngy, you need to take the car to somewhere that can do better "it might be this or that". A good indy, as said, would be a good start... they'll likely know the usual suspects on your particular engine (could be a dirt cheap seal + whatever labour is needed to get at it instead of expensive parts or pulling heads off) and/or pressure test the cooling system to confirm, offer a compression or leak down test etc

Unless you bought it recently and it had just had a h/gasket or whatever done for this reason flushing the cooling system isn't likely to fix things...
If you want to change the coolant G48 is one of the usual suspects (most of the coolants approved to MB325.0 are either G48 or G05). It's also cheaper from places other than hellfrauds... round my way they've stopped stocking concentrate in 5 litre bottles making S&C motor factors a LOT cheaper. Dunno what flavour the stuff eurocrap recommended is but colour is pretty much meaningless- it's just a dye, nothing more, and various VERY different flavours are commonly dyed blue

Thanks guys for the help, will try and find a good indy to have a look at it, quite frustrated with the car now as its been problem after problem with it. have bought this 20L of concentrated antifreeze from eurocarparts but since you say i need tye g48 then il go with that. Only thing is, when gearbox was recond, the guy used some redish antifreeze so il have a double check with him on what he used.

The oil in the coolant could come from the engine, through a HG failure, or from the gearbox (assuming an auto) through a failed oil cooler in the radiator.

The two types of iol are completely different, so a competant garage SHOULD be able to tell what type of oil is in there and where it comes from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom