Oil Leak at Bellhousing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rgracin

Car
2007 E63 AMG Estate
I appear to have an oil leak on my 2000 E430. It looks like it's coming from the bellhousing, and is brown oil and not red ATF fluid. The common electrical plug looks dry.

I'm getting a couple or three drips every couple of days.

So, I reckon it's the rear main seal on the crank. I have removed the rectangular plastic plugs from the gearbox side and can fell a small amount of oil sitting in there. I also found some metal chaffings as well. Where have these come from? All seems to be running fine with no noises. The only thing I can think of, is a couple of times over the last month or so the starter has not engaged propoerly when I have gone to fire up, and it made that horrible noise. Could these be the remenets of starter and flywheel gears grinding, or am I in for terminal failure?

Help!

Thanks

RG

Sounds like rear main to me. Starter not usually bothered by this so not so sure about that... Anyway my rear main weeps a bit; when it turns into a "leak" I'll do something about it. I'm hoping that process will take a long time!

The V8 rear mains do tend to leak. Replacing the seal can fix it but quite often does not and it will still weep a little. Mine leaks a tiny bit and so does Jacks V8

The shavings will be either from the starter gear or the ring gear on the flywheel. If your starter is giving you problems I would get it sorted. You don't want to damage the ring gear as this will end up having to remove engine and the ring gear replaced. Hope this puts your mind at ease. Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom