Oil Leak RHS E350CDI right side over manifold OM642

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c137103000

Car
500SE
Hi - I've just sold my 2009 E350CDI (LHD) to a chap who tells me that sometimes (but not always) there is a strong oil burning smell and smoke from the right hand side exhaust manifold. This happened after a few miles form my house, so I went and found him, checked it and it didn't happen again. He was nervous about it so I followed him back nearly 150 miles down the M1 on his way home last night and it was fine, no problem. Apparently it's happened again after about 30 miles today.

There is no coolant on the oil or oil in the coolant. It's not in the valley of the V block so it's not the oil cooler.

I (any my local garage) thought at first that this might ne coming from the filler cap, and although there was a slight oil film around that, from the photos he has sent me today it looks dry.

Any ideas, anyone?

Isn't that where the PCV valve is? Could it perhaps be that? Common item to die on the E350 CDI, first thing I changed on mine when I got it @ 126k miles.

Could also be a fuel leak, dripping diesel onto the exhaust. I had this issue too, and it would only show during a DPF regen because diesel isn't as flammible, it took the DPF regen to make the exhaust manifold very hot, which would cause the smoke and smell to come out. During normal driving the leak was still there, but you wouldn't notice it. Here's a video of when it was happening, and I saw the diesel dripping down underneath the car:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Unfortunately it's not easy to see the smoke in the video, but it was there and very embarassing at traffic lights! For me it was an 'easy' fix (for an indie) - something had come loose on the fuel lines and the indie simply clipped it back into place.

Kudos for not being all 'not my problem mate it's your car now'!

Last edited:
Isn't that where the PCV valve is? Could it perhaps be that? Common item to die on the E350 CDI, first thing I changed on mine when I got it @ 126k miles.

Could also be a fuel leak, dripping diesel onto the exhaust. I had this issue too, and it would only show during a DPF regen because diesel isn't as flammible, it took the DPF regen to make the exhaust manifold very hot, which would cause the smoke and smell to come out. During normal driving the leak was still there, but you wouldn't notice it. Here's a video of when it was happening, and I saw the diesel dripping down underneath the car:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Unfortunately it's not easy to see the smoke in the video, but it was there and very embarassing at traffic lights!

For me it was an 'easy' fix (for an indie) - something had come loose on the fuel lines and the indie simply clipped it back into place.

Kudos for not being all 'not my problem mate it's your car now'!
Hmm. Good point and thanks for the instantaneous reply.

The car was just serviced a few months back and I noticed a VERY strong smell of diesel ..... but that was just an O ring on the diesel filter in the V block valley which was cured by a new O ring on the pressure sensor. It was definitely an oil smell yesterday, not a diesel smell. Also the diesel filter was completely dry, so no leak there.

I'll do a bit of digging around on the subject of the PCV valve, thanks for the tip.

I feel terrible that this has gone wrong for the guy - in fact I'm absolutely mortified. The car has served me very well - it's just that I do zero business miles these days and can't justify so many cars on the drive.

cheers
Dave

Last edited:
Here's a link to a really long PCV thread, and specifically to a post of mine that has a video in it that is worth a watch: OM642 PCV Upgrade | Engine

If it is the PCV, it's an easy swap, but the part isn't that cheap (around £115 from memory) as they've updated the design.

Great, thanks. The chap who bought the car is a car dealer so he should know the relevant workshops close to him.

If this were me, whilst I'd be happy to try and identify the problem or point the buyer in the right direction, I wouldn't be forking out for any parts as embarrasing as you (and probably I) find this.

The problem once sold is that you have no idea what has happened to the car nor how it is treated, and my fear would be if you give an inch plenty of people would be insisting they take a mile.

If you feel compelled, you could consider taking the car back, provided it is delivered to your house. The 150 miles (or 300 both ways?) is way more than any seller would have contemplated when I've purchased cars, and if this guy is a car dealer they should absolutely know the score here.

But Kudos for you going above and beyond which is something that almost always never happens when you interact with car dealers when buying used.

If this were me, whilst I'd be happy to try and identify the problem or point the buyer in the right direction, I wouldn't be forking out for any parts as embarrasing as you (and probably I) find this.

The problem once sold is that you have no idea what has happened to the car nor how it is treated, and my fear would be if you give an inch plenty of people would be insisting they take a mile.

If you feel compelled, you could consider taking the car back, provided it is delivered to your house. The 150 miles (or 300 both ways?) is way more than any seller would have contemplated when I've purchased cars, and if this guy is a car dealer they should absolutely know the score here.

But Kudos for you going above and beyond which is something that almost always never happens when you interact with car dealers when buying used.
Good advice buddy , but the problem was back in September , I’m guessing all sorted now .

Good spot! 😂

Been up since 5 something am with a trio of toddlers running round. It's chaos and I'm clearly losing the plot!
I feel your pain buddy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom