Oil leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul64

Car
1995 W124 E300 Diesel estate (250k miles), 2008 CL63 AMG, 1969 Triumph 2.5PI, 1975 Triumph TR6
Hi all,

I have been looking for an oil leak at the front of my E300D engine for some time but it's not bad so left it for a while before having another go last night.
The fuel pump sump plate is dry, the cam chain tensioner is dry, I changed the sump gasket last year and used Hylomar blue as an extra warranty for no leaking before torquing it up correctly..! The back of the crank pulley is dry (and there is no spray of oil around the front of the engine), there is more a general wetness around the alternator and its 'cradle'. There is an allen-headed bolt I checked last night that runs from the front of the alternator cradle into the general direction of the block of the engine, the head of which is covered by the crank pulley just enough so as to be unable to remove it without taking off the pulley however, I was able to find that the threads are gone on it and I guess, it must tighten up into the crankcase oilspace - it seems to be the source of the leak.
Has anyone had the same problem - does the allen screw end up threaded into the crankcase interior? Any simple solutions other than removing the radiator, pulley, alternator, cradle and trying to drill and helicoil that hole and reassemble everything?

Alternator cradle.PNG

It's going to be the screw to the right of '824' which is the alternator pivot screw....
Perhaps the cradle comes off just by removing what looks like the 4 securing screws behind the alternator body and the front screw is something else?
Ideas welcomed!

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom