Oil leak

• Thread starter Deleted member 138290
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 138290

Completely forgot to as if anyone does/ has suffered from oil leaking out the filler cap on the cam cover ? I purchased a brand new cap and an extra seal when I diagnosed this early on when I 1st purchased the car, I’m sure it stopped for a while but it’s started again ? Any advice ?

The PCV valve should keep the engine at a negative pressure so no oil mist should leak from there.
Unless the PCV valve is faulty or the hose from the PCV valve to some part of the induction is blocked or disconnected, or you have excessive piston ring blow-by that the PCV valve cannot cope with.

PCV Valve - How Does It Work - Failure Signs - Ways To Test The System

Last edited:
Had no idea it was this causing EML light and black smoke and oil in strange places..... where is it located on an il6 engine please ? I don’t even recognise this part ? Thanks

The oil separator (PCV) is the pill-box shape at the LH end of item 47.
It contains a diaphram that can perish. You can pop the top off and check it but the whole assembly is the FRU.

Attachments

• OM648 Head Cover.pdf
    146 KB · Views: 10
Oh it’s hidden under the cam cover ?? Omg another top strip down lol

what's the VIN ?
Nice hot-air intake you have there......

Ok you have the earlier design.
The valve is item #56

Attachments

• OM648 Head Cover #2.pdf
    71 KB · Views: 7
  • OM648 Head Cover #3.pdf
    142.2 KB · Views: 4
As there seems some concern regarding my air intake I will explain..... the original cover cracked when I was stripping it down last year, managed to find a replacement but when I received it it too was cracked so figured they were a flimsy part and, as I had an old cone in the garage I decided to adapt it to the car and as I never had any issue I just left it on... IF anyone has an original air box then I will gladly purchase it and put it back to normal but I want buying one from a dealer.... as for part no 56, is that a dealer part or can I get it from the internet ? Thanks

as for part no 56, is that a dealer part or can I get it from the internet ?
Its #50 Valve.
It looks easy to get at. A strip and clean may be all that is needed.
Check that hose #77 is good and attached at both ends.
I would think this is an MB part only.
Try MB Newcastle,Swansea,Edinburgh as they have an eBay presence and give good discounts off list.
Sellers are mercedesbenzof.........
A6460100091 comes up in eBay........

I’ve replaced that valve before but it was a used valve so I guess I bought a duff ! Yes very easy to do, thankyou

Yes it’s only the cone instead of the original air box, everything else is the same.... I found the original valve and swapped them as the other has a split seal and the circular spring was exposed.... however I need to ask how to strip this valve to clean it ??? But I’ve got another being delivered tomorrow 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom