Oil Level after Dealer Service, is this acceptable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rizzer

Car
120 Dualiner
DSCN2014.jpg

Just got Vito back after first service, I checked oil level and found it was not filled to top marker on dipstick. Is this considered to be acceptable or should it be filled to top marker? I queried this with dealer and this was the response;

The workshop agree that the oil level showing on the dipstick is correct and nothing to be concerned about! The oil will expand when hot and if the level is too high it will come up as a warning on the dash as over filled!

I hope this explanation is acceptable to you.

Or is this a case of wool over eyes :rolleyes:

was your test done when engine at operating temp but off for a few mins?

is it a petrol or diesel....? the oil colour looks too dark anyway for new oil....

I have to admit to having the "too much oil" warning after a service... not sure if its really a problem, but its a bit worrying either way!!

was your test done when engine at operating temp but off for a few mins?

is it a petrol or diesel....? the oil colour looks too dark anyway for new oil....

Yes engine was warm, just been returned from Dealer 40 miles away, and was off for over 10 mins.

Its a 120 V6 Diesel, now you say it does look dark for new oil.

New oil in a diesel engine goes dark immediately you turn the engine over. Its the way it is.

New oil in a diesel engine goes dark immediately you turn the engine over. Its the way it is.

yes thats why i asked if it was petrol of diesel....

tell the dealer to fill it properly..... it was hot so their expansion bull isnt right.....

its not even half way :doh: - my warning light comes on around the pos of your level on my 124.

Measure the level after the vehicle is cold and stood overnight. This gives a chance for all the oil to drain back down to the sump. Having an oil level 1/2 way between full and empty is not bad thing on an engine that uses no oil as you are less likely to get spurious warning messages about oil levels being too high. However check your invoice as to how much oil you were charged for. Then check the difference in capacity represented by the min and max levels on the dip stick--- normally its 2 litres. So technically you are 1 litre short! If they charged for a full oil capacity change- should be detailed on the invoice -- phone them up and ask why they forgot to leave the bottle with the extra litre they did not use in the boot?;)

IIRC the level change with temperature is actually pretty small.

I just checked our 120 for you - this had a B service exactly a week ago. It's been standing for 6 hours since last driven, and the oil level is a couple of mm below the 'full' mark ... which is what I'd expect to see.

I have always thought that oil level should be kept at the mid-point.

Surely min or max is either too little or too much?

I've always thought that all fluids (including brake fluid etc.) should be at or about the 'max' mark with everything at normal operating temps.

Should be a bit more than that but the oil does expand when hot so most garages who deal with Mercedes will always under fill... its never nice having an irrate customer shouting down the phone after the oil high warning comes on.

Assuming the engine is at working temperature, stop engine when vehicle is on level ground. Wait at least 15 minutes and check level, check again after another 5 minutes to see if the level has risen or remained the same. This confirms most of the oil has drained into the sump.
Then say next morning a check when the engine is cold will probably show the level has fallen due to no thermal expansion.

Now my point is this.
Do not check the oil when engine is cold and top up to the high level, because thermal expansion could increase the volume to an engine damaging level.

I'm not suggesting this is done every time, but the results will give an idea of the actual level depending on engine temperature.

P.S.
Synthetic oils expand the most when hot.

Last edited:
That level is a little low. 100-200ml should sort it.

That engine take about 8L of oil and it expands quite a bit when hot. Mobil One seems to expand the most. It is best to fill it to 3/4 full otherwise you will get the high oil warning message.

MB state that the oil level should be checked at operating temp and 5 mins after switch off.

I try to keep level between 1/2 to 3/4.Think i ruined a catalyst once after slightly filling over max-Honda Accord:wallbash:

If the level is too high the vito is likely to throw a wobbly and go to limp mode.

Too high CAN be the upper oil mark, so the pictured level is actually ideal

I don't know what C55 AMG thinks but when I do my c180k I use 5.25 litres instead of 5.5 litres-seems to work!

Last edited:
The level looks ok,but it doesnt look like new oil.

The level looks ok,but it doesnt look like new oil.

Goes black instantly in a diesel.

I don't have a dipstick :( and I check my car using the cluster display. It's supposed to hold 6.5L but it's never shown more than 6.2L when stone cold, even after a service where I supplied my own oil and they used 6.5L of it.

It went down to 5.1L and still wasn't asking for a top-up.

Of course I've no idea if the level display is accurate!

I have no issues with the oil level, I found that MB dealers do tend to under-fill in order to avoid the dashboard message on dipstickless cars.

But... what I am annoyed about, is that if you look at the bill I am sure you will find that you have been invoiced based on the book capacity of the engine, and not based on the actual amount of oil used.

In my case the MB dealer invoiced for the full 5.5L that the engine takes when filled up to the Max mark, yet filled it up only to the Min level - which is a good 2L under the 5.5L billed. At £15 per litre, this is not funny.... when the engine was very hot this went up to around a quarter of the way between Min and Max.

So yes there is a good reason for not filling up all the way to the top, but some garages are apparently taking advantage of this.

My last service was with Olly (BlackC55) - and now the oil level when hot is a smidgen or two under the full mark - perfect!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom