Oil level after service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercedesstar

Car
S320Cdi
Hi all
This might be a daft question so my apologies beforehand,but I had my W210 E320CDI serviced Weds last week, and I checked the oil level the following day, to find that it was about half an inch from max on the dip stick. I know it says 7.50ltr of oil on the service specification, but should it not be filled to max? The service was carried out by main dealer. For most engines the amount of oil to fill is different and mine has always taken 8ltr to fill it to max on dipstick. I hope it is not me being a dipstick here :rolleyes:

Hi..
I have always done oil / filter changes on every car I have owned..
Sometimes intermediate ones between "Official" main dealer servicing.
Check oil level on level ground when the engine has been stood say half an hour (overnight is better still)..
I have always filled to the upper level on my own cars and to be honest so have the dealers...
Yours isn't low enough to do harm as it is between upper and lower marks on the dipstick..
I would add half a litre and re check...

I do,as yourself, oil services inbetween the main services, and always have to put in 8ltrs to fill it to max. I checked it on level ground the following day, I checked it 4-5 times just to be sure, so what it looks like is they have put the specified 7.50ltr in and not checked the level afterwards. I do understand it is not low enough to cause any concern, but as the car is going in for some work on the gearbox tomorrow, I will get them to top it up.
Thank you very much

That sounds about 1 litre down. 1 litre * 15 cars a day @ £15 per litre = A tidy sum... ;)

That was,to be fair, my thoughts exactly, Dieselman. And it confirms my worries about going to most garages, not just main dealers, where else have they made shortcuts. It is the first time in a long time that I have taken a car in for a service, and everytime I drive away I am thinking, " have they done it properly "? Mercedes are trying to get people like myself to come back to them to get our older cars serviced there, but things like this does not encourage me to do so again. Anyway, they will be topping mine up tomorrow, not me.

I hope you weren't charged for 8 litres .? Especially @ £15.00 a litre Plus Vat from the stealer's. Their prices are absolutely extortionate!

Yep, when you think of what we can get Valvoline or Mobil for at Eurocarparts etc, Mercedes prices are somewhat unbeliavable. But fair to them, they only charged me for 7.50ltr.

Mercedesstar said:
Hi all
This might be a daft question so my apologies beforehand,but I had my W210 E320CDI serviced Weds last week, and I checked the oil level the following day, to find that it was about half an inch from max on the dip stick. I know it says 7.50ltr of oil on the service specification, but should it not be filled to max? The service was carried out by main dealer. For most engines the amount of oil to fill is different and mine has always taken 8ltr to fill it to max on dipstick. I hope it is not me being a dipstick here :rolleyes:

Do you check when the car was hot and on level ground?

Yes, did a 100 mile journey the following day, left it for 10-15 min and then checked level.car was on a level drive. I have spoken to the service MGr here before the car went in to have speedsensor done, and he said it was the right way of doing it. Oil expands when hot and if topped up to Max it would come up on dash, " oil overfilled" or similar. Never heard of it before, I thought filling it to max was safe and gave you the indication if it uses oil and when to top up etc. Be said it was only a ltr between min and Max, and it was only very little below.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom