Oil Level - How level does the car need to be?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AntMB

Car
Mercedes E270 Estate and VW Golf
So, on my S211 E270, the oil level reads 6.2l on the dash when on the drive.

My drive has a slight downward slope, this slope has never made any difference to the dipstick level on the Golf. I know this as if I park the Golf at the side of the garage which is level flat, the level on the dipstick doesn't change - the Golf can't move at the moment so I can't put the Benz there at the moment.

So, if I use the door cills as a level and drive onto some wooden ramps and get the cills level, the oil level changes to 6.6l. A level on the boot floor shows the boot slightly upwards towards the rear seats (lower at the bumper) and a level across the engine shows the engine needing to go down towards the front to be level.

Those wooden ramps I have driven on have raised the car 150mm.

At the moment I don't want to add or remove any oil as I can't be certain at all what to believe. The only thing I can think of now is to make a guage to ensure the wheel base is level.

So, how level is level to check the oil level? This is a conundrum I have never faced before.

Last edited:
Perfectly level to be accurate. Petrol station forecourts are best.

Perfectly level to be accurate. Petrol station forecourts are best.

So level across the wheel base is best, which I guess makes sense, but as you've confirmed it then I'll make a guage to fit onto the hub nuts to check the vehicle level, that way I'll know I can do this at home.

My drive slopes forward slightly and when I have a reading of 5.4l I know its about right. I check quite regularly on a level surface after standing for a while and 5.4l on my drive equates to 6.4 on a level. Its a good way to do a rough check before driving anywhere. Mine is an E220 with a 6.5l max capacity btw.

Drive to the local petrol station or nearest flat road?

Trouble is, for accuracy I'd then have to wait a while for all of the oil to return to the sump. If I work out a good level at home, then I'll know I can get an exact read out.

My drive slopes forward slightly and when I have a reading of 5.4l I know its about right. I check quite regularly on a level surface after standing for a while and 5.4l on my drive equates to 6.4 on a level. Its a good way to do a rough check before driving anywhere. Mine is an E220 with a 6.5l max capacity btw.

From that I could work out that when mine reads out 6.3l that it should be right, as when my cill is level, the wheel base ought to be, though I will check this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom