Oil level rising on dipstick

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derfuk

Car
2002 CLK 200, 2010 311 Sprinter
Hi
I have a 311 sprinter that drives as it should with no lack of power etc but has suddenly when idling in traffic for a while letting off big plumes of white smoke when you set back off and gradually getting less and clear when you get to about 50 mph. Fuel economy also seems to of dropped and the oil level has raised about half a litre on the dipstick in about 150 miles .coolant kevels haven't dropped and no warning lights or error codes and drives as normal with no knocks or bangs. Had greenflag called out who said couldn't find anything and to just keep driving and keep an eye on it. I didn't keep driving once it started as also the oil high light was coming on and then off and then at the point where it didn't go off. Engine is clean with no signs of any leaks externally and has 170k on it. The oil has gone a bit thin but has no foamy look or diesel smell and the DPF has been removed and mapped out.

It has me confused as drives as it should and no obvious signs of what's going on as I was thinking injector issue but engine sounds when driving and idling as it should.

Last edited:
Is it a diesel with a DPF? Rising oil levels is a sign of failed regens where fuel is getting into the oil.

Be careful as if the level rises it can be forced back past the pistons and into over run which can destroy an engine.

Is it a diesel with a DPF? Rising oil levels is a sign of failed regens where fuel is getting into the oil.

Be careful as if the level rises it can be forced back past the pistons and into over run which can destroy an engine.

Yes it is a diesel and the dpf has been removed, it has just come back from Spain and didn't miss a beat all the way there and most the way back until hit a traffic delay and then the smoke started and oil hi started after that

Leaking head gasket? Allowing water into sump oil floats on water and could give a high reading on dipstick

Have you checked water level? I admit the above is unlikely if engine running ok but still worth a check.

Leaking head gasket? Allowing water into sump oil floats on water and could give a high reading on dipstick

Have you checked water level? I admit the above is unlikely if engine running ok but still worth a check.

It hasn't lost any water and oil hasn't gone a milkshake type so very Mich doubt it is water in it

It hasn't lost any water and oil hasn't gone a milkshake type so very Mich doubt it is water in it

Unburnt Diesel going down the bores, faulty injector/s or fueling. Get it fixed or you could ruin the engine.

Unburnt Diesel going down the bores, faulty injector/s or fueling. Get it fixed or you could ruin the engine.

I suspected an injector but wasn't sure. The advice I had from green flag was to just keep driving and keep an eye on it. I did carry on driving for a bit as they virtually forced me to as they followed and said it was fine, eventually they towed me back and after having a look today as they had been underneath doing something that the sump also has a crack in it now which it didn't before they were under it but of course they will deny they were under it or did anything

I suspected an injector but wasn't sure. The advice I had from green flag was to just keep driving and keep an eye on it. I did carry on driving for a bit as they virtually forced me to as they followed and said it was fine, eventually they towed me back and after having a look today as they had been underneath doing something that the sump also has a crack in it now which it didn't before they were under it but of course they will deny they were under it or did anything

Oil level rising, no water loss, fuel economy dropped, then regardless of what Green flag say, unburnt diesel is washing lubricant from a bore, which will lead to an engine seizure.

Yes it is a diesel and the dpf has been removed, it has just come back from Spain and didn't miss a beat all the way there and most the way back until hit a traffic delay and then the smoke started and oil hi started after that

As in remapped with the DPF code deleted, or just the DPF removed. Guessing the first which should rule out that issue. Leaking injector as mentioned would be the next check.

Hi.
Landrovers TD5 engines suffered this, it will be an injector or injectors leaking into engine. It oil level rises to far you will have engine pick up and run out of control untill it blows.
It needs urgent attention

Reactions: 219
You said that the oil was a bit thin. That can only be fuel getting into the sump as has previously been mentioned. I can only think that you have an injector leaking into the bore which will happen all the time, not just when it is required to inject the fuel. I suggest you get this sorted ASAP because this will wreck your engine, not just the cylinder that is getting the neat fuel diluting the oil but the whole engine. If the oil is getting diluted to the point where the sump level is rising then all moving parts will be poorly lubricated and likely to fail. This means ALL moving parts will be wearing more and more. If you keep driving as Mr Green Flag said, be prepared to replace the engine. You could have a rod through the side of the block in extreme cases. Please take note, it could cost you a fortune ! Hope this helps, Cliff

when i stated the engine will pick up, if the oil level rises to far, it will get picked up by the pistons, then the engine will run on its own with no way to stop it until it destroys itself. I have seen it happen, its a very frightening experience.

Thanks for all your replies and they have basically confirmed what I suspected that it is faulty injector or injectors and dropped it into garage and they said its most likely that too. The greenflag agents were kavanaghs who after looking up reviews etc don't have a very good reputation for having qualified staff or treating them very well.

when i stated the engine will pick up, if the oil level rises to far, it will get picked up by the pistons, then the engine will run on its own with no way to stop it until it destroys itself. I have seen it happen, its a very frightening experience.
I've had this experience when a turbo failed on a skoda I was driving it sucked the oil from the sump and blew it through the injectors,the engine ran flat out while I stood with the keys in my hand,
It's got me wondering,what would happen if this happened on my current c220 auto while driving in traffic?

I've had this experience when a turbo failed on a skoda I was driving it sucked the oil from the sump and blew it through the injectors,the engine ran flat out while I stood with the keys in my hand,
It's got me wondering,what would happen if this happened on my current c220 auto while driving in traffic?

Just out of interest when "engine was running flat out" with out keys how did you manage to stop it running?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom