Oil now lower than $100 a barrel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dowtherz

Car
W209 CLK 350 Cab VW Golf GTE Volvo V90 CC
That's at least a 30% drop since July. Without wanting to sound like a Daily Express headline, when are we going to see the benefit of this at the pumps? At its peak, a garage near me was selling Diesel at £1.34 per litre, and is now selling it for £1.27 per litre (very different from a 30% drop). Takes a while for whole sale prices to filter through blah blah, shame it doesn't work the opposite way. Rant over :mad:

Not trying to justify any of this, but don't forget that the massive majority of the pump price is made up of tax. A 30% drop in the price of crude won't have anywhere near the same effect on retail fuel prices.

Will

My point is, oil went up, prices at the pumps went up. Oils comes down, guess what? pumps stay they same (at best 10p down ie 8-10%). There has been no change in the fiscal treatment of petrol/diesel so the tax (duty) element is unchanged only difference the government will make less VAT as the retailer's price somes down which is beyond their control.

OPEC have announced that they are reducing production in an attempt to maintain the $100 /barrel price.

Also take a look at the exchange rate with the dollar. Sterling has tanked in the last 2 months or so - when oil was $140+ there was $2 to £1 - now there is only $1.76 or so - it means that whilst oil has dropped about 30% about half that is eaten up in exchange rate loss. Hold on to your hats if oil goes back up as $140+ oil is going to be a lot more than £1.30 something per litre.

Sterling tanked against the Dollar when Darling opened his big trap....has cost me rather a lot, I buy in US Dollars when I Import.

Sterling tanked against the Dollar when Darling opened his big trap....has cost me rather a lot, I buy in US Dollars when I Import.
Correct - it was his speech that caused it - whether it would have happened anyway is another matter - but effectively it has added about 12% to the cost of everything priced in US $. So the £1.30 per litre would have been £1.46 per litre if the oil price had not gone down at the same time.
There is a link between the strength of the dollar and the price of oil (in $) because it affects the amount the oil producing countries get in local currency terms.

expect 3-4 weeks before you see any effects at pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom