Oil, oil everywhere..and not a drop to drink..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zxrichie

Car
ML350
Hi Guys. Not only is the handle mechanism on the roof on my 2003 cabriolet breaking up, (see http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/interior/111814-clk-320-roof-handle.html ) but the other day the roof would not open without a lot of manual help, or close for that matter. So whilst it was in a mid state, i had a visual check around it. found some oil substance on the fabric that separates the boot from the fabric hood....funny, then started to notice clear oil like droplets everywhere, then to my horror, i looked down the cavity area on the pass side that holds all the folding mechanism's, Urgh... oil splattered all over the place.

My guess would be the hydraulic ram that powers it all, maybe the seal has gone. any other thoughts would be gratefully received.. I'm not going to "force" the issue, and open it up just yet in case i damage anything and i cant close the hood. (and then it pours!!)

If i do manage it i will take some photos. is this a common occurrence?

Rich

I expect one of th esmall hyraulic pipes has fractures. Difficult to find too.

There should be a manual overide somewhere that allows you to lower and raise the roof. There may be a special tool in the tool roll. have a look in the handbook.

Thanks Guys, found some info in the manual about manual operation, wait for a warm day now to tackle it. i'll let you all know ..with pictures..

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom