Oil on driveway - how do you remove the stains?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Not from my car, but a friend of a family member has left a handful of oil stains on their driveway.

Any idea's on making it less noticable? eh putting sand or somthing on?

Washing powder is supposed to be a good DIY one. Absorbs the oil and cleans at the same time.

I'd personally try and soak up as much as possible - sand or washing powder etc. Then try and clean it carefully with a small amount of solvent type stuff. Then a good clean with a degreasant/surfactant (washing up liquid even?)

There are of course proper driveway cleaners you can buy.

Will

Gunk or Jizer(the stuff you clean engine bays with).

tell him to ask his wife nicely if she wouldnt mind scrubbing the drive :)

Cheap washing up liquid, about 50% diluted. Spray on the oily patch, leave for an hour or two and wash it off. Repeat 4 or 5 times.

If its fresh oil, spread cement of it first, leave overnight, then the washing up liquid treatment.

I found covering the patch with salt and then washing off the next day worked for me! A scumbag builder parked his van in my drive once and left a nice black oily one when he left! B****d! :D

Why not use Oil Patch Remover (yes there is a specific product for this problem).

Find it at halfords & Homebase etc.

On concrete drives most cures are fine (petrol is good).

But on tarmac drives you just need to be careful that whatever you use does not soften the tarmac. Fairy Liquid is fine and works well.

Pick a clear sunny day - not windy - and sprinkle a generous amount of cat litter on the spill. Leave for as long as possible. It will absorb most.

Pick a clear sunny day - not windy - and sprinkle a generous amount of cat litter on the spill. Leave for as long as possible. It will absorb most.

Followed by "cat deposit on drive.....how to remove ?"

'Thomson's ' driveway cleaner ( IIRC , I think it was Thomsons ) but anyway available from B&Q is quite effective . I used it after a small spillage , whilst doing an oil change , soaked into the concrete drive , two appliacations and the marks were completely gone .

Funny you should say that. I cleaned our brick driveway with B&Q's path and patio cleaner. Worked a treat but now the foxes keep leaving nocturnal deposits on my drive. Maybe it smells like a foxes' toilet now?

Always use cheap washing up liquid and a good scrub with a stiff yard brush I keep for mucky jobs.
Would want to upset Mrs J by asking to borrow her best broom-stick.

Cheers.
Johnsco

Coca-cola used to work well on concrete, doused a few times and left overnight. Not tried it for years, might still be so.

I found covering the patch with salt and then washing off the next day worked for me! A scumbag builder parked his van in my drive once and left a nice black oily one when he left! B****d! :D

seconded.

If this is still causing you a headache you're welcome to borrow my karcher thingy - I work pretty close to The Venue

Sheer coincidence this - the 280SL I had from CCC decided to shed a little oil onto my drive (bless it! ahhh!) So, I doused the spots with salt and this morning washed it off - oil patches gone! Defo recommend this, proven method! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom