Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But what I was less impressed with is that they still invoiced for 5.5L of Helix Ultra at £14.95+VAT per L, while clearly only 3.5L actually went into the car... :(

We're talking about underfilling by half a litre - not 2L. The car will ask for oil when it needs a litre or so.

We're talking about underfilling by half a litre - not 2L. The car will ask for oil when it needs a litre or so.

Aha - OK. :thumb:

Mine doesn't have an oil level sensor so it asked for nothing...:(
I only discovered it by checking the dipstick after the service.

(Well, it does have the basic low oil level warning that all cars have these days, but my understanding is that this type of warning comes-up only when the car is well under the minimum)

Good Evening Everyone,

Sorry I havn't posted about the situation for a while but I wanted to wait until everything was done and dusted.

After all the anguish, the very helpful area manager did everything he could to make me happy.

He organised a cheque for me to the value of the cost of the initial repair at Deutsch Marque plus the cost of a full ATF replacement by Mercedes.

I was very pleased but he went one step further. I mentioned in a conversation with him that it was a shame all this had happened as I was going to take advantage of Kwik Fit's £25 MOT offer (no catches may I add).
He immediately said "I would really like to get your confidance back with Kwik Fit, how about you let us do the MOT at no cost to yourself".
I had a quick think and because an MOT is at the end of an MOT done by a qualified MOT tester I thought it would be an idiot to refuse (I knwo, most fo you are thinking "some people never learn).

The car went in for MOT last Saturday (Was due this Saturday).
Unfortunately it failed due to too much play at the join of the inner track rod.
I was discussing what exactly was wrong with it with the manager (the guy who trained with Merc).
He said it was a fairly simple job, that he understood if I wanted to take it to Merc to get it sorted but he said if I wanted if I got the part he would personally fit it free of charge.
Again, how could I refuse!
I went home ordered the part from Eurocarparts (Lemforder £18)
The part arrived, I took the car in Thursday midday.
Approx 4pm I got a call saying the car was ready and had passed MOT.

The car has been perfect since MOT, the only quip I have is the locking wheel nut was left on! I noticed it after driving for 3-4 miles.
I just had this odd gut feeling something wasn't right with the driver side front wheel. I pulled over to check the tire and there, hanging from the locking bolt was the locking nut! Thank goodness I found it, otherwise I may have had some issues if I ever got a flat!

As for the mechanic who messed up and didn't own up he has been appropriately disciplined according to company guidelines. I can't say exactly to what stage (legal) but i'll let you use your intelligance and imaginations.

In conclussion, overall I am very happy.
I have received and cashed a cheque for £320.18
The MOT is done and a new inner track rod has been fitted free of charge.
My faith is partially restored but if I ever go back I think it will only be for an MOT or to have tyres fitted as and when.

Thanks to everyone who advised and supported me, it was very much appreciated.

Cameron

So it looks as though I was spot on?

I've had a similar problem, just bought my car last week, drove 250 miles down to Portsmouth and only noticed by chance that the oil was over filled. I'm a bit concerned that I may have damaged something. Had no signs of anything yet but I know the particulate system and cat can be sensitive. Needless to say got it booked it Monday for siphoning

I've had a similar problem, just bought my car last week, drove 250 miles down to Portsmouth and only noticed by chance that the oil was over filled. I'm a bit concerned that I may have damaged something. Had no signs of anything yet but I know the particulate system and cat can be sensitive. Needless to say got it booked it Monday for siphoning

Do you have a dipstick, or did you get a warning message on the instrument cluster? The message can sometimes come-up when the oil is full but not over-filled, which is why dealers under-fill - to make sure there are no comebacks. Definitely have some oil removed, but keep in mind that you may very well still be fine and no harm done.

Overfilled engines can cause blown crankshaft seals and damage to exhaust cats. Best to keep the level midway between the max and min marks measured when oil is hot and engine off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom