Oil Overfill?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marcos

MB Enthusiast
Car
C43 estate
I checked the oil last at the weekend using the buttons on the dashboard and it said to add an extra 1 liter of oil. I did and now as I'm driving it flashes warnings telling me I have excess oil and to remove some.
If it is overfilled at all it can't be by much so how much damage could this cause if any?

Stick in enough oil and you can blow gaskets :crazy: but more likely get it sucked via the breather mechanism into all sorts of unintended places

A more modest overfill may result in oil foaming to the point where it meets the pistons on the way down and can get sucked past the rings on the intake stroke (because there is relative negative pressure in the cylinder at that point in the cycle but positive pressure in the crankcase). Not a big drama in a diesel but becomes more unhappy in a petrol engine.

All in all, oil overfilling is to be avoided. I would suggest draining a bit off, but in your case the "problem" be only marginal unless your oil sensor is out.

Erm , mobilo life might be able to drain some off for you.

Esp as the car said you needed more and now it says you ahve too much

See what they can do

Modern technology for you, they do away with the dip stick, the computer tells you to add an 1 liter of oil, you do exactly that and now its saying there is too much!

RichardM said:
Modern technology for you, they do away with the dip stick, the computer tells you to add an 1 liter of oil, you do exactly that and now its saying there is too much!

Just be careful WHEN you check the oil levels. :crazy:

It should be checked: -

1. When the car is on the level.
2. When the engine is cold, and NOT after a run.

Stick to this and you will avoid overfill on cars with or without dipsticks. :rock:

Ignore it and you will be the Dipstick. :D

The car was level and had been sitting in the same position for about 2 hours.
I just spoke to the dealer and he wasn't surprised as it is a common problem. I am taking it in tommorrow to have the squealing brakes sorted and some oil sucked out.
Quite efficient for a dealer I thought. :p

Let me know what they say about the brakes Marco and if it solves it.

Apparently I need new pads front and back!

I do brake quite heavily I suppose but for a car thats done 22,000mls I think this is a p##s take. They reckon the fronts are 90% woprn and the rears 80%. I am going to let them change them but have requested the old pads so I can examine them.

marcos said:

I do brake quite heavily I suppose but for a car thats done 22,000mls I think this is a p##s take. They reckon the fronts are 90% woprn and the rears 80%. I am going to let them change them but have requested the old pads so I can examine them.

The pads on our old T210 lasted for 48k :eek: this is a bit excessive :eek:

marcos said:

My E200 had new front pads @ 28000 miles

My E280 didn't have any changed when I sold it @ 42000 miles

I was surprised I didn't need new pads at the last service (19,000 miles). I'm now on 26K, I wonder if they'll last till the next service!

Last edited:
I brake quite late unfortunately, I am trying to get out of this habit BTW, so do you think it reasonable that I need new pads already.
If my dad ever gets in the car with me he moans like mad about my braking habits.

I've just got back from the stealers and my pads were skinned badly. The fronts were ver low and the back ones were about 70% worn.
They reckon its not unusuall to wear out the pads in a 320 cdi in 20,000mls as the braking system it has wears the pads out quicker than on most. He reckons they have a customer who will get through front pads every 6-8k in his ML55 so I'm doing ok.
Just got to wait for the bill now :eek: :eek: Mind you at least it got washed. :D

Was that at Hertford?

Any idea why you didn't get a warning light? I'm worried now I shouldn't just wait until the next service!

Richard,

It was at Hertford and I asked about the warning light and was told it wont come on until the pads have only about 1-1.5k left so I wouldn't worry too much.
If you do go in there Richard have a look at Rachael on service reception, she is so damn fit it almost makes it worth going up there. :devil:

Unless of course your married and then there is no need to look at other women. :rolleyes:

marcos said:
Richard,

It was at Hertford and I asked about the warning light and was told it wont come on until the pads have only about 1-1.5k left so I wouldn't worry too much.
If you do go in there Richard have a look at Rachael on service reception, she is so damn fit it almost makes it worth going up there. :devil:

Unless of course your married and then there is no need to look at other women. :rolleyes:

Hmm , would MB Hertford be my local dealer then if i live in glasgow? :D

I know what you mean, certainly nicer to look at than the rest of the service people! Very helpfull too...

I was in there on friday getting new wiper arms to try and stop the wipers juddering. Hasn't solved it though.

Fuzzer,

I would make Hertford Mercedes my local wherever I lived. Once you see her the 800mile round trip would seem a small price to pay. :bannana: :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom