Oil overfilled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ming

Occasionally my recently serviced SL 500 declares it has been overfilled with oil
I stop on the motorway, turn off the engine and the message goes away
Any advice
Please!..

Have you checked the oil level? I believe you are supposed to check it when it's up to normal operating temperature.

Yeah, dont stop on the motorway. Take it back to where you had it serviced, and get them to check/reduce the oil level.

My V6 complains it's overfilled if the level is over 1/2 way between min and max on the dipstick, it seems too sensitive. If it's not overfilled I'd guess your car similar.

If you fill the right amount of oil at a service, it will often trigger the "oil hi" message.

I would just ask your garage to suck a little out.

i have found that 3/4 up between min and max is the Sweet spot unless you dont have a dipstick fitted as some dont if memory serves correct

I bought my own dip stick and know 100% that the oil level is not too high, I've had this message a couple of times and only on long m/way journeys, so I just ignore it.

Russ

You should not ignore it. Serious engine damage can result. I've seen it happen.

You should not ignore it. Serious engine damage can result. I've seen it happen.

How can serious engine damage occur when the oil level is checked with a dipstick and is at the correct level? The oil level sensor is telling lies.

Russ

The inbuilt sensor is total crap..
My car holds 6.5 litres of oil...
I do my own servicing and when I drained the oil there was only 5 litres !!!!
How can it be good for any engine to be 1.5 litres low on oil and have no warning..
Worst thing about Mercs is the lack of a good old fashioned dipstick !
The so called sensor gave no warning whatsoever!
I filled with 6.5 litres and now I NEVER rely on the sensor.. I use "service mode" to give a more precise reading of oil level..

For any of you interested then "Service Mode" can be accesed by doing the following:

(This applies to my C270 Cdi but it works on some other models as well).

Note: If the engine has just been running, let the vehicle stand for around 10-15 minutes before starting this procedure.

1. With the vehicle on level ground, put the key into the ignition and turn it clockwise to position 2 and make sure that the central display on the dash reads Miles / Trip distance and is NOT displaying mpg / temp or any other info..

2. Turn off ignition and now turn to position 1

3. Press the 'Reset' pushbutton on the extreme left-hand edge of the instrument cluster (just to the left of the clock) quickly 3 times.

4. Turn the ignition key clockwise from position 1 to position 2 (second position).

Press the 'Up Arrow' on the left of the steering wheel ONCE. Hopefully it will show 'Oil level _._l' somewhere)
Wait for 10 seconds or so for the oil reading to take place.. It will display something like 6.1 litres (or whatever)..
Of course, having a reading in litres of the quantity of oil currently residing in your sump is pretty meaningless if you don't know what the correct reading should be.
In my case the C270 Diesel is 6.5 litres

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I'll try that.

But surely you're relying on the same 'crap' sensor? :dk: Did you mean that the margins in the standard oil check mode are crap?

I should add no litre reading just "ok" which was nice

Dipstick for SL R230 petrol

I bought my own dip stick and know 100% that the oil level is not too high, I've had this message a couple of times and only on long m/way journeys, so I just ignore it.

Russ
Hi Russ
I have had the problem that on long journey's the oil indicator states that it is overfull. I would much rather have a dipstick than rely on sensors.
I would be interested to know where you bought the dipstick from, and where you put it in the engine to take a reading.
Many thanks
Terry

Hi Russ
I have had the problem that on long journey's the oil indicator states that it is overfull. I would much rather have a dipstick than rely on sensors.
I would be interested to know where you bought the dipstick from, and where you put it in the engine to take a reading.
Many thanks
Terry

I bought mine from E-Bay USA. Although mine never came with a dipstick, it still has a dipstick tube. Just take the cap off the tube, check the oil, remove dipstick & refit cap. You cannot leave the dipstick in permanently as there is no hole in the engine cover for it.

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom