oil pressure problem too high in my v6 om642 engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brannaboy1966

Car
vito 120cdi v6
got really high oil pressure in my om642 v6 engine had engine rebuild taken out 3 times now builders cant find any problem so put totally new unit in and still got the problem 120 psi at the filter housing and 90 psi at turbo blows oil into exhaust system all sensors on engine been replaced could it be problem with ECU

got really high oil pressure in my om642 v6 engine had engine rebuild taken out 3 times now builders cant find any problem so put totally new unit in and still got the problem 120 psi at the filter housing and 90 psi at turbo blows oil into exhaust system all sensors on engine been replaced could it be problem with ECU
To my knowledge, the ECU doesn't control oil pressure; the only control is at the oil pump which has a pressure relief valve that vents excess pressure (certainly true on 'old technology' engines!). A couple of questions, though:
Have you tried another oil pressure gauge? and,
Which 'new unit' was tried?
If that is a true reading of oil pressure, I'd be looking for a blockage somewhere.

Ernie

I'd have said it must be the oil pump relief valve, but if the builders have replaced it with a new one, a blockage is the only other thing I can think of. The oil pressure is not regulated by an ECU; 'old tech' works fine in millions of engines worldwide. I hate to say it, but if the problem was there as soon as the engine had been rebuilt, but not before, then it's likely something not right in the rebuild caused it.

Does the pressure drop to something more reasonable as the oil heats up and flows more easily?

Could it be something as simple as the wrong grade oil?

I very much doubt it, even if it drops to something nearer normal when warmed up, but there will be somebody on here who will know.

Seriously? You swap out the engine and get the same?
Change the gauge, test the pressure with an independent (certificated) gauge.

Seriously? You swap out the engine and get the same?
Change the gauge, test the pressure with an independent (certificated) gauge.
Do we know what the oil pressure should be on these engines? Actually...do we know what engine is fitted to OP's Vito?

Something funny going on here!!

Ernie

Blows oil in to the exhaust system from where?
Through the turbo??
Is the oil pressure readings accurate and are they taken at idle??

If only symtom is 'turbo blowing oil into engine', I wouldn't suspect too high oil pressure, no matter reading 'gauge' has been giving... it is just bad turbo.

on my engine i replaed the oil filter housing and it is a high pressure feed, this is know for fact... ( i should have checked those turbo turret bolts were torqued down @W1ghty lol) as I replaced the whole casting unit and seals on mine.

With the turbo pushing oil you need to check the cam breather as it has probably worn the seal away, i changed mine as I noticed oil more on the pipe work etc as you can see in the pic CS2 the one on the right the seal is a lot larger diameter than the new one on the left, this is a no brainer change. perhaps @W1ghty can link his thread as I couldnt find it for some reason showing its fitment.

check my thread here! intake manifolds, oil cooler seals | Engine

With your turbo were all the gaskets replaced with new and not re-used?

How many miles on the replacement engine or is it actually a "new" engine? if it is new and you are still having this issue then the guages and relative connections to sensors need looking at as a "new" engine wouldnt be the cause.

with the engine in has it been conencted to a Star Xentry? if not it needs to be, better diagnostics.

In the first instance hooking it upto star is the way to go.

Attachments

• cs2.jpg
    cs2.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 10
  • cs1.jpg
    cs1.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 10
OP says he chaged ENGINE (I thought turbo was not included), so bad luck if breather is sooo bad in both engines... otherways oil in turbo, breather system is a good call too.

on my engine i replaed the oil filter housing and it is a high pressure feed, this is know for fact... ( i should have checked those turbo turret bolts were torqued down @W1ghty lol) as I replaced the whole casting unit and seals on mine.

With the turbo pushing oil you need to check the cam breather as it has probably worn the seal away, i changed mine as I noticed oil more on the pipe work etc as you can see in the pic CS2 the one on the right the seal is a lot larger diameter than the new one on the left, this is a no brainer change. perhaps @W1ghty can link his thread as I couldnt find it for some reason showing its fitment.

How many miles on the replacement engine or is it actually a "new" engine? if it is new and you are still having this issue then the guages and relative connections to sensors need looking at as a "new" engine wouldnt be the cause.

with the engine in has it been conencted to a Star Xentry? if not it needs to be, better diagnostics.

I couldn’t find my thread on here either .
Here it is from the other forum

if the new engine is using the old turbo then i wouldnt hesitate in sending the turbo off to be checked over, I used Essex turbos for my new one, i offered the old one to them and they didnt want it, they are the cheapest in the uk for a new turbo for the 642, checked warranty etc, its in my thread above also.

if the new engine is using the old turbo then i wouldnt hesitate in sending the turbo off to be checked over, I used Essex turbos for my new one, i offered the old one to them and they didnt want it, they are the cheapest in the uk for a new turbo for the 642, checked warranty etc, its in my thread above also.
turbo has been replaced and breather pipes off back of cam all been replaced all parts from dealers turbo has been checked three times report said oil pressure problem so tested it at oil filter cap as no oil switch on these engines and tested at turbo oil primer its had 4 turbo replacements last one from dealer costing a fortune now its got to be electrical problem

all been changed only 63000 on this last engine

Through the turbo??
through back of turbo taken on tick over 120 psi crazy
Through the turbo??

changed oil cooler and oil level \ temp switch still the same
Not sure where this is going, but logic doesn't point to the oil level / temp switch and probably not the oil cooler either! The oil circulation system doesn't involve anything electrical.

Can you not just run it and see what happens?

Ernie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom