Oil Pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manpolsabre

Car
1992 300D
My 300D has covered 130,000 miles and is in brill condition (I think!)
The oil warning light is on all the time and doesn't go out.
I am positive there is nothing wrong with the engine. It runs nice and smooth. After a run on the motorway and then stopping the oil pressure drops to just under 2. As soon as I touch the accelerator it goes up to 3.
Is this the right pressure?
I presume it is and the fault with the oil warning light must be a duff sensor or something like that.
Is there anybody out there who knows anything about oil pressures & lights?

Citreon 2CV
MB 300D

Yep, thats the right pressure. Haynes manual says that min pressure is 1.5 Bar on tickover and when, as you do, hit the accelerator it rises to 3. Just a thought, have you tried disconnecting the wire of the top of the oil pressure switch to see if the light goes out when the engine is running? If it does then I would think that there is something wrong with either the switch or the electrics. A switch from the sealership is £28 and a little less from Europarts in Manchester. Hope this is some use.

Thanks for that Ian, I'm afraid I am worse than useless when it comes to cars.
I have hunted for the oil pressure switch but cant see it. Where the heck under the bonnett is it?:confused:

Citroen 2CV
1992 300D

When you look at the engine you will see the air filter. Look under it and you will find the oil filter. Below the oil filter you will find the oil pressure switch. There is a lead on the top of it which pulls off. I cannot figure out how to put pictures on here so If you want to pm me with an e-mail address I could send you photos. Hope this helps. Or if you are free Saturday I could come over and show you, Manchester isnt far from Preston and I have to go to Bacup anyway,.

I could be wrong but there is no oil pressure warning light on your car just an oil level indicator warning light. Have you checked the oil level, it needs to be between the min & max marks preferably closer to the max mark. The oil pressure you say is on the guage is fine. If there is plenty of oil on the dipstick my advice would be to check the level indicator sensor on the side of the sump or otherwise drive her on and just check the oil manually and not rely on the low level warning light. Good luck.

Brian
C230K
190E
300TD

230K (Brian?) has a good point :eek: . Just been checking the manual and cannot find anything about the Oil Pressure Switch. I may be wrong and if so apologise to all who read this. I dont want to apear as a "Richard Head". :eek: :eek:

Last edited:
Went to see Bob's car yesterday. "very" nice car. Guess what, found the oil pressure switch. Light still on though?There was nothing I could suggest to overcome this problem although Bob said that he was having it serviced soon and that he would see about changing the sensor in the sump. Anyway......nice to meet you Bob and that "nice" car.

Ian, Thanks for coming down and giving me some advice.
Next time you are in the area call again.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom