Oil quality factor.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NeilMerc

Car
2017 E220D amg line premium estate
DCBB841D-06E3-4187-8E6B-B12CE56231D4.jpeg I recently did an oil and filter change on my 2009 ML280 diesel.
My icarsoft now gives the following for oil quality.
What is good and what is bad??
I didn’t look at the reading before the oil change!

View attachment 75591 I recently did an oil and filter change on my 2009 ML280 diesel.
My icarsoft now gives the following for oil quality.
What is good and what is bad??
I didn’t look at the reading before the oil change!
Hi NeilMerc,
I have the same issue, readout using a iCarsoft MB-II gives me a reading of 1.66. Driven around 10.000km past last oil-change.
Still around 15.000 km to go until next change. I'll keep an eye on this and let you know.

If you just changed the oil then surely it must be good? :confused:

I have MB11 but have never seen a screen that shows engine oil quality. How do my machine to give me this information ?

yeah looks like op is using i980 not seen the oil quality screen on my MB 11?
Either way the quality of oil is determined by an algorithm that looks at number of hours driven and type of use i.e short runs, cold starts etc and a number of other parameters.
Change the oil every year or at 12-15k intervals, use synthetic oil and you wont need that screen again!!

All I can say is that it must be very "scientific" approach of measuring the engine oil quality. Change the oil and filter in recommended intervals and you'll be fine.

Some MB cars (Diesel models only, I believe) have an 'Oil quality sensor. I am assuming that what iCarsoft does is simply display the sensor's current reading.

The name 'Oil quality' is misleading though, because what the sensor does is measure the electrical conductivity of a small amount of oil sample that it traps in a chambre. So it is not a full and complete measure of the oil's quality as such.

I imagine that the reading would be affected by the amount of water mixed in the engine oil - but again I am not sure how this data is relevant and why specifically for Diesel engines.

Grober might be able to provide a more-detailed and better-researched answer....

Mercedes used to employ the B40 sensor which measured 3 things oil level, oil temperature and oil delectic constant [conductivity] via 3 separate sensors in one unit. AFAIK the di-electric constant measurement reflected the water content of the oil and thus its lubrication ability as markjay said.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/att...il-sensor-how-does-work-w208-b40-function.pdf

If I got this correct a reading below 5.8 is OK. I can only suggest you monitor the reading as the oil ages to see which direction it goes in?
ps this may not even apply to your car

If all it checks is water content then I would guess that unless you were running extreme oil change intervals or short trips, you will never see a figure high enough to worry about?
Just change oil regularly and forget about it!
I wish they still checked water level in diesel filters that could be more useful?

Oil is cheap,......................Engines are big ££££££££££££££'s!
Just change your oil at 5000 miles like I do then you can forget water content, and your timing chain will be good into the car's old age.
Tony

Thread resurrection I know .
Just saw this when tinkering with the icarsoft MB2 earlier .
The E class had an oil and filter change about 1500 miles ago
Oil quality factor of 1.67 shown .
Now I’ve seen it I want to know what it means ;)

For reference, at 3K miles of mainly short journeys since the last oil change, mine shows an oil quality of 2.22, so I guess it goes up as the oil ages.

On the iCarsoft 980, it's under "Diagnostics" (not OBD diagnostics), then 'Motor Electronics" -> "Actual Values" -> first item (sorry, forgot the name). I suspect it's present in a lot of the ME actual values.

Ian.

For reference, at 3K miles of mainly short journeys since the last oil change, mine shows an oil quality of 2.22, so I guess it goes up as the oil ages.

On the iCarsoft 980, it's under "Diagnostics" (not OBD diagnostics), then 'Motor Electronics" -> "Actual Values" -> first item (sorry, forgot the name). I suspect it's present in a lot of the ME actual values.

Ian.
Cheers buddy

I was just checking the car for fault codes and came across the oil quality screen again . It showed 1.67 , oil change was 2-3000 miles ago .

Mercedes used to employ the B40 sensor which measured 3 things oil level, oil temperature and oil delectic constant [conductivity] via 3 separate sensors in one unit. AFAIK the di-electric constant measurement reflected the water content of the oil and thus its lubrication ability as markjay said.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/att...il-sensor-how-does-work-w208-b40-function.pdf

If I got this correct a reading below 5.8 is OK. I can only suggest you monitor the reading as the oil ages to see which direction it goes in?
ps this may not even apply to your car
My ALFA has something very similar....a few years back when I was getting near oil change time a message popped up on the dash to warn me that my oil was degraded....so I changed it slightly early.....never seen it since though. I had to use my ALFAobd software to delete the message as it did not go after the change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom