Oil seeping from batwing w211 E320 OM642

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGreedy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDI
During viewings of what all appear to be shot E320 CDIs, there often appears to be oil gathering on the top of the engine, seeping out of the joint between the air intake to turbo batwing MAF pipework, which i think is part No. A6420908237.

Is this normal?
Should there be oil coming out of this seal/joint?
I know there is a red or orange replacement seal set for the turbo inlet, but just how much oil should be in this pipe?

Is a tight seal here 'hiding' whatever is producing the oil?

Is it indicative of another problem?
Many thanks

Could be signs of the the well documented 'Black Death' ...Killer of E Class diesels, and others.
Thanks Petrol Pete.
I couldn't see any black death near the top of the injectors (admittedly, they have some black foam jammed over the top of them), nor could I hear any 'chuff chuff chuff' which I believe you should be able to hear getting past the injector seals.

This definitely looked like oil leaking out of the batwing. It wasn't a hard, crusted deposit.

During viewings of what all appear to be shot E320 CDIs, there often appears to be oil gathering on the top of the engine, seeping out of the joint between the air intake to turbo batwing MAF pipework, which i think is part No. A6420908237.

Is this normal?
Should there be oil coming out of this seal/joint?
I know there is a red or orange replacement seal set for the turbo inlet, but just how much oil should be in this pipe?

Is a tight seal here 'hiding' whatever is producing the oil?

Is it indicative of another problem?
Many thanks

No, not normal.

This is at another web site, I post comment on that posting.

Review posting;
Red seal on PCV breather hose - MBWorld.org Forums

FWIW
Had same issue, I changed PCV assembly.

What year is your E320?

Regard

Joseph

I don't have an E320 CDI yet, but it will be 2008/09, and have around the 100k miles mark or a bit less.

I've seen this on a couple of OM642 engines out of 4 closely inspected. I'm just trying to get a feel for if this is to be expected and a potential easy fix, or another 'walk away' indicator.

From my understanding, oil typically at intake pipe/turbo entry is one of three things:
1. leaking turbo oil seals. Under £500 for self fit Recon turbo.
2. Blocked PCV breather system or air/oil separator labyrinth, so oil doesn't fall out of the crankcase vapour before moving on to the intake/turbo. Might get away with cleaning it all for free.
3. Excessive Positive Crankcase pressure, caused by, something you definitely need to get your cheque book out for.

One a car I saw without this, taking the oil filler cap off whilst idling was fine. For the really leaky one, taking the oil filler cap off revealed a noticeable amount of spitting out of the filler hole.
I thought I read something in a thread on here recently, but detailed memory fails me.

Found it, it was here:
Please what is this and whats it for/do etc....or as I suspect not doing...

If anyone one here has the OM642 engine, would they mind having a check if they get obvious oil spitting out the filler cap when idling please? Like, quick get the filler cap back on quick levels of spitting.
As I said, it's only been like this one one. The others were fine with the filler cap off at idle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom