Oil stain on drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
I had an oil leak (which is now getting fixed) which has resulted in some rather unsightly stains on my driveway.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to clean them off?

Thanks,
Abs

What kind of driveway is it Abs?

Have heard of washing powder being scrubbed in can help.

Unfortunately in your case I’d imagine the oil is quite dark/black being from a Diesel engine?

I think whichever method you use it will take a while for the stains to fully disappear.

If it’s block paved and the stain proves difficult to shift can you replace a few of the affected blocks (or swap them with some from a less conspicuous area?) :)

Steps to Remove the Stain:
  1. Spray the stain with a generous amount of WD-40. ...
  2. Allow it to sit for 30 minutes so the stained area can become fully absorbed with the WD-40.
  3. Rinse the area with hot water to remove the excess oil.
  4. Cover the spot with liquid laundry detergent.

What kind of driveway is it Abs?

Have heard of washing powder being scrubbed in can help.

Unfortunately in your case I’d imagine the oil is quite dark/black being from a Diesel engine?

I think whichever method you use it will take a while for the stains to fully disappear.

If it’s block paved and the stain proves difficult to shift can you replace a few of the affected blocks (or swap them with some from a less conspicuous area?) :)

Hey Will,
It’s a standard concrete driveway pal, so no blocks to move around :( and yeah it’s jetblack oil from my diesel W212 :D

Abs

Thanks all for the replies, I will give them a go once the oil leak is repaired next week :)

Not a recommendation but the redneck stylee sounds good.

1. Pour on neat "Gasoline" (whatever that is :) )

2. Set on fire

Sorted

Gasoline is petroleum spirit,kerosene is paraffin with no sulphur and used as jet A1 fuel paraffin is otherwise used in lamps and heaters.

Dish washer powder works brilliantly.....just wet and bush in with a stiff brush.

Then hose off....

Gasoline is petroleum spirit,kerosene is paraffin with no sulphur and used as jet A1 fuel paraffin is otherwise used in lamps and heaters.
Taken from Wikipedia:
On 27 November 1862, the British publisher, coffee merchant and social campaigner John Cassell placed an advertisement in The Times of London:
The Patent Cazeline Oil, safe, economical, and brilliant … possesses all the requisites which have so long been desired as a means of powerful artificial light.

This is the earliest occurrence of the word to have been found. Cassell discovered that a shopkeeper in Dublin named Samuel Boyd was selling counterfeit cazeline and wrote to him to ask him to stop. Boyd did not reply and changed every ‘C’ into a ‘G’, thus coining the word "gazeline"

Thus my conclusion that in the UK "gasoline" must be lamp oil.

No, forget all that's gone before - poormansporsche is by far the best suggestion. :eek::D
Perhaps wait until 5th November before you do this one (and when it's dark)!!! ;)

Get the cheapest laundry detergent you can buy (usually comes in 5 gallon tub with 'commercial grade' written on it) and a 2x4 block of wood.
Spread liberal amounts of laundry detergent on the stain and work it in with the 2x4
Leave it for a couple of days and rinse off with a pressure washer

Many years ago I was living in a shared house and my old (BL not BMW) Mini had a habit of leaving oily drips on the drive. As they did.

When it was time to move out, the landlord noticed this and insisted that I clean it up, otherwise I could kiss my deposit goodbye. So I got a couple of gallons of trichloroethylene from work, tipped it over the drive, scrubbed it with a yard broom and it came up sparkling. Or course, 30 years later I realise this may have been ecologically unsound, but if there's a big hole in the ozone layer over my old house, blame the landlord!

Cheers,

Plug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom