Oil switch fault

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kvz2000

Car
Mercedes W124 300e. Mercedes SL500
Hi,
I have a 1992 300sl , engine sounds as sweet as ever , no oil or water loss , but occasionally when driving the oil pressure gauge drops completely and the red light comes on , if I ease off the accelerator the gauge rises again to where it should be , it could then drive all day without it happening again or it could happen a couple of times more .
As it does not affect the performance of the car I am hoping it's a faulty oil pressure switch , am I correct .
Thanks

Maybe just a bad electrical connection : I'd try the plug connector onto the sensor - just down below and behind the oil filter .

Maybe just a bad electrical connection : I'd try the plug connector onto the sensor - just down below and behind the oil filter .

Thanks ,
I'll do that tonight when I'm doing the oil and filter change ,

Oil and filter changed , took car for a 40 mile run and everything was fine , oil pressure gauge sat at the top all journey and dropped to between 1 and 2 on tick over .

Mine is about the same - drops to about 1 when fully hot with fresh oil & filter , a bit lower when oil change due .

I keep meaning to try a new sender unit .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom