Oil viscosity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crazyboy23

Car
Mercedes GL320 CDI
Hi all. Sorry for this thread as it most possible that it was already asked. So i have 2006 w164 and from the service book I understand that all the times since car was new, only 5w40 oil has been used, i used 5w40 when bought the car as well. As we all know (hopefully), Mercedes has their own oil but that is 5w30. So should i try 5w30 instead of what has been used since beginning or just stick with 5w40. Millage is 74000. Hope someone had same situation and knows better. Thank you in advance.

That's not an especially large change in viscosity in my opinion, and since the car is more than 10 years old now, it probably doesn't have quite the same tight tolerances that it used to. - The thicker oil might actually be a better choice.

Try the 30 grade 229.51 or 229.52 and gain some efficiency , if there is an oil consumption issue go back to 40 .

Stick with the viscosity recommended in the handbook for the prevailing climate/temperature.

Over the years, different MB dealers used 0W-40, 5W-40, and 5W-30 on my MB cars. I suppose all of the above are suitable for the UK weather. 0W oil might be a bit OTT in the SE (I live in London), but I wouldn't be too fussed about whether the oil is 30W or 40W.

Over the years, different MB dealers used 0W-40, 5W-40, and 5W-30 on my MB cars. I suppose all of the above are suitable for the UK weather. 0W oil might be a bit OTT in the SE (I live in London), but I wouldn't be too fussed about whether the oil is 30W or 40W.
Agreed. - The winter weight is probably only important when you're going to try to start it a -35'C; at normal operating temperature there is no difference between a 0w and a 5w.

Just don't try using a 10w60 unless it's a high mileage engine or operating in especially hot conditions.

Thank you guys for advices-really appreciate it. There is no straight answer so i will probably stick with 5w40 this time (will soon travel to eu and will cover lots of miles) but will try 5w30 on next service....whenever i will decide to change the oil again. Was asking as maybe someone had same situation and felt difference after switching from 5w40 to 5w30...Mercedes oil is much cheaper hence wanted to try it. Thank you again

Do you have black deposits on your exhaust pipe tips?

If you do, you don't have a DPF.

DPFs in 2006 were very rare indeed....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom