Oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
Leaving aside that I'm using or losing I need to buy some.

Choices are Castrol Edge Fully Synthetic 5W30 Engine Oil (4 Litre) or Mobil Mobil 1 New Life 0W40 5ltr Both are MB 229.1 approved.

But for a high mileage diesel engine, possibly using some oil, which is the better?!

I believe Olly says that 5W-30 is better for Mercs than 0W-40, but then thicker oils (0W-40) generally work better for older engines.

Said that, various MB Dealers used both Castrol Edge 5W-30 and Shell Helix Ultra 0W-40 on my car in the past, so it does seem that there is not one simple rule here.

Perhaps Mobil New Life which is supposedly formulated for high-mileage engines?

Last edited:
I've very recently changed my oil and filter etc. and whilst getting a new sump plug washer and filter from the main dealers I enquired about oil. According to the guys in the parts dept., Mercedes are currently recommending Mobil 1 New Life in all *engines, and is the one which the dealer uses in all the *services they do.

* Without DPF

Cost from main dealer for 6 litres, a little under £80
Cost from ECP for same quantity £46:88 using MBClub30 discount code.
ECP part No's (521771851 - 5 ltr) (521771852 - 1 ltr).

I believe it's cheaper still at Costco if you have one near you.

Current mileage of my vehicle is 76,000 ish. I don't know what oil was in it before, but I have noticed an improvement since changing the oil.

Last edited:
FUNDAMENTAL DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO OILS one is approved to M229.31/ 229.51 suitable for non DPF diesels the other is not! for DPF cars you need the MOBILE ESP 5W30 fully synthetic. If you haven't got DPF either will do if they meet MB 229.3/229.5

If it is for your CDI and you have no DPF, you would be better going for the diesel specific "Mobil One TD" rather than the new life. It is only about £29 in Costco for 5ltr.

I've just brought 2 x 4L of Castrol GTX 10w40 from ECP for £28. most of the better quality brands are recommended by garages if you plan to keep your car for a while. And an oil filter costs about a fiver.
Relative small cost yearly for maintaining a high mileage car.

If it is for your CDI and you have no DPF, you would be better going for the diesel specific "Mobil One TD" rather than the new life. It is only about £29 in Costco for 5ltr.

Is Mobil-1 TD really a diesel specific oil?

I queried the difference with Mobil

Bobby Dazzler said:
I have always used Mobil 1 0w-40 in my petrol-engined cars*and Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0w-40 in my diesel-engined cars.

Having looked at the containers*both oils appear to be of the same specification*but is the oil actually the same?

At the next oil change can I safely use Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0w-40 in my petrol-engined Mercedes-Benz C32 AMG (2003)?

Mobil Technical said:
Although they have slightly different formulations, the two oils are very similar and safely interchangeable, both are suitable for your car.

Emanuele Biondi
Lubricants & specialties Technical Help Desk Engineer
Exxonmobil Business Support Center Czechia s.r.o.

^ So, Mobil-1 TD isn't a diesel specific oil, if it was it couldn't be used in petrol engines.

I've just brought 2 x 4L of Castrol GTX 10w40 from ECP for £28. most of the better quality brands are recommended by garages if you plan to keep your car for a while. And an oil filter costs about a fiver.
Relative small cost yearly for maintaining a high mileage car.

Asda have been selling this oil for a while at a bargain price ; I bought 8 litres not so long ago for my 500SEL , at the time I noted it was stated on the bottles as suitable for Diesel as well as Petrol engines .

I don't get the Mobil thing? There are more than a few good oils out there. Fuchs 5w40 gt1 is a very good oil and meets both 229.5 and 229.31.
And I am not so sure dealers were using shell helix ultra 0w40. 5w40 maybe?

I'm a great believer in Fuchs [ who were OEM to Mercs from the factory at one time] The Unipart range of oils are rebranded Fuchs AFAIK

Not too many places you see Fuchs oil. I've used Unipart in the past though.
I suppose it's all down to personal choice after weighing up the options at the end of the day.

Last edited:
UNIPART EXAMPLES [SPEC IS INDIRECT SOURCE] SO DON'T QUOTE ME!

Unipart 5w40 Synthetic Motor Oil PROS400 Unipart 5w40 premium performance fully synthetic motor oil. Oil is branded Unipart and supplied by Fuchs. ACEA A3/B4 API SM/CF Approvals: BMW Longlife 98, MB-Approval 229.3, Porsche A40, Volkswagen 502 00/505 00 Recommendations: Fiat 9.55535 - H2/M2/N2/Z2

OR

Unipart 5w30 Synthetic Motor Oil 1 Litre PROS1300 Unipart 5w30 premium performance fully synthetic motor oil. Oil is branded Unipart and supplied by Fuchs. ACEA C3 low saps Approvals: BMW Longlife 04, MB-Approval 229.51, Volkswagen 504 00/507 00 Recommendations: Ford M2C917-A, Porsche C30

OR

Unipart 5w40 Synthetic Motor Oil 1 Litre PROS1700 Unipart 5w40 low saps premium performance synthetic motor oil. Oil is branded Unipart and supplied by Fuchs. Meets or exceeds API SM/CF ACEA C3 Approvals: BMW Longlife-04, Ford M2C917-A, MB-Approval 229.31, Porsche A40, Renault RN0700 / RN0710, Volkswagen 502 / 505 00 / 505 01

hi
sorry to use this tread but i couldnt send private message as i am new member
i would like to buy your car w124 250d as got same one and im able to fix gearbox
my number is
can collect tomorrow

hi
sorry to use this tread but i couldnt send private message as i am new member
i would like to buy your car w124 250d as got same one and im able to fix gearbox
my number is
can collect tomorrow

I assume that you are referring to the ad listed by Pontoneer. Message sent with the above details.

Thanks for that , I have spoken to AMGtech who is coming to see the car tomorrow .

If he buys it , I will then mark it as sold in the advert .

I have had a couple of other expressions of interest but , as always , the first person to turn up cash in hand gets the car .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom