Oil.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
T

tanuie

I have just had my CLK 280 serviced and when they did the oil change they put in MB 10-30, the question is to top the oil up as and when can i use Castrol Oil 5W-30, as i have half a litre left from a previous car.

If you know what was the MB Oil Spec of the oil used at the last service, and it is the same as the MB Oil Spec showing on the Catsrol container, then yes different oil brands and different oil viscosities can be mixed as long as they meet the same MB Oil Spec.

You can almost certainly use the Castrol and don't worry in the least about it being 5W instead of 0W. To check online if it meets the MB spec you will need to be more specific about which Castrol 5W30 as they make several different versions although if it does it will probably say so on the bottle.

Try Google "Mercedes Oil Specifications". One of the hits will take you to a matrix that lists which oils (by brand) that meets the different MB requirements (such as "229.5").

Try Google "Mercedes Oil Specifications". One of the hits will take you to a matrix that lists which oils (by brand) that meets the different MB requirements (such as "229.5").

If you are referring t this:
Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids: Overview Sheets

Then I believe that the official MB Oil Spec Sheet chart only shows the 'Approved' oils but the 'Meets or exceeds...' oils.

The difference is that an 'Approved' oil has been submitted to MB for testing (an expensive exercise), while the 'Meets or exceeds...' oil is self-certified by the oil manufacturer. The latter is usually considered good enough, but I don't think there's a central register listing all of the 'Meets or exceeds...' oils.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom