Oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
T

tanuie

Just bought 5ltr engine oil 229.5 from Mercedes Newcastle, it cost £25.65 inc.
postage, which i thought was quite a good deal.

While there is always plenty of 229.51 I never seem to find MB's own 229.5 so easily. I usually buy either Shell Helix ultra or Gulf GX.

Car parts 4for less currently have a deal on engine oil so to top up my stock on the shelf I just bought 5L of Gulf Formula GX 5w40 fully approved by MB to 229.5 for £16.74

Bit expensive but not bad.

It's £21.95 on ebay (dealer) and £52.90 for 20l HERE

Bit expensive but not bad.

It's £21.95 on ebay (dealer) and £52.90 for 20l HERE

That's a good price, but buying 20 ltr's is a bit to much to buy in one go,my car doesn't use that much to warrant that amount.

I'm probably treating my car to Fuchs Titan Pro - I'd guess 5w40 because the engine isn't brand new any more.

I wish I bought the 20L now. That's an incredible price equivalent to £13.23 for 5 L. It would take me 4 years to get through it which is probably OK but I usually only keep 2 years stock.

It would be interesting to know who makes the oil for MB. As I've said several times there is no way it's a real synthetic at that price. It'll be highly refined mineral oil (group 3) or possibly a Gas To Liquid oil (GTL group 3+).

It would also be interesting to know how much MB charge for that oil when you put a car in for service. I'm guessing the markup must be 300 % or more.

Based on the material included with the owner's manual, I'd guess Mobil. - There's a little booklet dedicated to the partnership between MB and Mobil, so it would be hard for them to justify buying their bulk oil elsewhere.

It's probably a proprietary blend just for them.

As I said in another thread, I'm a convert to esther synthetics now.

Which brand ?

Fuchs Titan Pro S (formerly Slikolene Pro R)- Although I need to confirm that their "Mercedes Specification" does actually include the required type for my car.

I'm just going from anecdotal experience that the little Nissan seems to run better with esther synthetic oil, and Fuchs is the only one I've ever used (although I know others are available; e.g. Millers).

Last edited:
I think MB chop/change which oil is used for factory fill on engines - I've heard it's been Mobil and was then PETRONAS. Same for dealers - my local dealer group buy in which ever barrels of oil are on best price - in all cases, as long as the correct BeVo spec is met it doesn't matter. As for the MB OE branded oil, I believe this is Fuchs but of course, could be wrong. If check out the latest BeVo list of approved oils for 229.51 spec, it's increased considerably and now even includes Comma and CarLube.

On a personal basis, I buy the 20L tub of MB OE 229.51 oil - can't beat the £/L and I change the engine oil every 5K.

Fuchs Titan Pro S (formerly Slikolene Pro R)- Although I need to confirm that their "Mercedes Specification" does actually include the required type for my car.

That's good stuff and should be at £45 for 5L which is over 3 times the price of MB's own oil. The price differential confirms what I said about MB oil not being a true synthetic.

Well it is here, Gen Mb Fully Synthetic 0w40 complete with Mb invoice,, That was very quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom