Oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can't comment on his knowledge but nobody ever persauded someone else by patronising them:
"Did you comprehend that?"
"Because people like you either:
1) Can't read the owners manual
3) Can't follow directions"
"Don't argue with me about it"
"Now pay attention,"...

I have no idea what happened to my cars after I sold them on (with the exception of the W203 which was sold to fellow forum member), so I have no idea if their engines failed further down the line because of my excessive oil changes under my ownership.

As per my previous post - it's a fascinating topic in itself... but purely academic of the majority of car owners.

...Basically all the pump stations in an area get the same base fuel from the same refinery then add their own additives .

This is correct (with the exception of Shell V-Power petrol).

In fact in the past I used to fill-up with ordinary fuel and add Redex to each tankful.

Eventually I got fed-up with calculating the ratios and measuring and fumbling with the plastic filler bottle at the pump... so I moved to premium fuels some years ago.

It works out more expensive than adding your own dosage of Redex/Millers/Forte etc, but it's much more convenient and ensures the correct concentration of fuel additives. I have since moved from using premium fuels to Shell V-Power.

Again, V-Power petrol is not just standard fuel with additives, instead it is the only type of petrol available on the forecourt that is actually manufactured separately to other fuels (that's the V-Power petrol, not Diesel) - but whether this translates to any tangible benefit for the average motorist I do not know. To be honest, I suspect not. Or, rather, not for 1.6L engine anyway.....

So personally I think that unless like me you're biassed toward the Shell V-Power petrol, you might as well use either premium fuels where the additive package is already included, or standard fuel and add your own additives. Or just fill-up with a tankful of V-Power every now and then. Either of the above will achieve the same result - a cleaner engine.

Issues mostly arise when motorists rack-up miles while simply using the cheapest fuel they can get, and never use premium fuels, or add any fuel additives, neither regularly or occasionally.

Can't comment on his knowledge but nobody ever persauded someone else by patronising them:
"Did you comprehend that?"
"Because people like you either:
1) Can't read the owners manual
3) Can't follow directions"
"Don't argue with me about it"
"Now pay attention,".
I would not call that patronising; bullying perhaps as in "I have proven that I know what I am talking about so don't contradict me"Maybe he knows it all, or enough to be arrogant; I do not know but I would not heed his 30k mile rant, whether that is for better or worse.

I always put Dipetane in the Diesel and use MB oil. I have a max of 3g of soot and zero ash

Yes MJ without a doubt higher octane petrol is good stuff , the engine advances ignition timing as the fuel doesn't pre ignite .

Advantages- better efficiency more power and torque , better mpg.

Not familiar with Dipetane , what's it got in it ?

I usually get 5L of JASO FB from £13- £17 .

Yes MJ without a doubt higher octane petrol is good stuff , the engine advances ignition timing as the fuel doesn't pre ignite .

Advantages- better efficiency more power and torque , better mpg.

Only if the engine mapping allows such ignition advance otherwise higher octane fuels will not produce any more power or efficiency. Putting 1000 RON fuel in an engine with compression and mapping designed to work with 95 RON will not give better performance.

I'm sure they do nowadays , I've a 22 year old Nissan that does .

Only if the engine designers allowed for an ignition map and knock sensors that took advantage of higher octane fuels.

You would also need higher compression ratios to take advantage of the resistance to pre-ignition that higher octane rating gives.

The majority of cars are designed for optimal performance on 95 RON so adding a higher rated fuel without other modifications will make little if any difference.

Remember that RON is merely a rating of resistance to pre-ignition, it is not an indicator of the energy per unit volume the fuel contains.

Last edited:
Yeah normally aspirated .

Forced induction is supreme .

Again, V-Power petrol is not just standard fuel with additives, instead it is the only type of petrol available on the forecourt that is actually manufactured separately to other fuels (that's the V-Power petrol, not Diesel) - but whether this translates to any tangible benefit for the average motorist I do not know. To be honest, I suspect not. Or, rather, not for 1.6L engine anyway.....
I thought Shell V-Power Diesel was produced differently (GTL) to standard diesel. I could be wrong, or things could have changed.

I thought Shell V-Power Diesel was produced differently (GTL) to standard diesel. I could be wrong, or things could have changed.

Shell don’t mention GTL anywhere, so we are not sure it’s just a myth.

I'm struggling to understand it , both a petrol and derv non additive !

To understand why something works is because it contains..

What's in Dipetane ?

2 Stroke we've covered .

Stop smoke and like products contain kerosene .

Millers Diesel Power Eco Max contains 2-EHN .

2-EHN, 99% 2-Ethyl-Hexyl Nitrate, Cetane Booster offer

Cetane Improver - Wikipedia

I have used dipetane for a number of years now. I have found it wonderful.

I first used it in an Audi 80 Tdi before going for the test. As I drove the ten miles to the test station I saw clouds of black smoke coming from the exhaust. I said "oh damn, what have I done"; or words to that effect. After a mile or two it cleared and the Co reading was .89.

I use it in all my Mercs. My S204 never has a reading above 3g of soot and Zero Ash. I even use it in my Central heating oil burner.

From the links you will see that Large ferry operators use it as do large haulage firms etc

Take the dpf out and egr off , Stage 1 and sounds like you'll still pass the VIN smoke coefficient of 0.50 .

That is a lot of work. A lot easier to add one measure of Dipetane to 50l of Diesel. Works out at €0.70 a fill

A remap and some dpf surgery .

More power , more torque , smoother , drivability etc .

And a real mpg gain .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom