Oily and golden

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harooshum

'94 W202 c180

Was hoping to catch some advice on what oil to get. I heard that German cars work well with Castrol edge (Halfrauds £45 with free toolbox) but 0W40 seems very performance-related, and there was another at 5W40 or so.

Im sure EDGE is good but I want to know which visc grade will be best...

Yes I have already searched, all i found out was that it needs to be .293, which isnt specified. Any advice will be much appreciated.

h.

Hello thanks for that site. Link to search castrol.com for the oil for my c180 engine, it says I should use the 0W30. I think Im going to get that, as its 5L for price of 4L. It also says my engine takes 5.8L of oil!! I will be 0.8L short! Suppose I will have to buy another 1L from Halfrauds next time I pass there.

0w/30 sounds very "thin" for your car, its normally for modern engines.. i would have thought a 5w50 or even 10w40 would have been better..
You might end up with leaks with the 0/30.

Jaymanek u got me worried now. 0W30 is recommended by castrol.

Edge 0W30 Technical Specifications:ACEA A3/B3/B4
API CF
Meets the engine test requirements of API SM
MB-Approval 229.3/ 229.5
GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025
VW 502 00/503 01/505 00
BMW LL01

Yes im sure technically its correct but unless its always been serviced using a thin fully synthetic oil, a 16 year old engine could not take well to its new low calorie diet.

Autodata says that your car should have 10w/40 semi synthetic in this country. 5w/30 for a cold climate and 20w/40 for a hot climate.

Castrol GTX 10W40 has Mercedes Benz Approval 229.1 not .3! - Isnt 10W40 for Tdiesels?

Edge is available in 5W30 - is that good enough? Nice 560SEC's by the way, one of my fav mercs. Later evolved into the CL class - lovely!

5w30 is listed but for cold climates.. Its certainly more suited than 0/30...

Do you have a mate at castrol or something?

There are lots of good brands out there..

To my knowledge the oil, plugs filters etc have not been changed in years, but that previous owner did very little annual mileage. I just got it around xmas time, bought NGK plugs, air filter, oil filter, wiper blade, and now need the oil to get started.

Castrol edge seems like some top-notch stuff - pricey - but I love this car. Ok what would be your reccomendation for me then?

just any simple 10w/40 semi synthetic... big name brands are just a waste of money on anything before 98-2000ish IMO.

yep thats a good oil at a reasonable price.. if it hasnt been serviced for a while maybe run some engine flush in the oil for a day before you change it.

hmm... Gotta say im a bit sceptical about using engine flush products. What if it doesnt all come out when im draining the sump? I will put new oil in there partially mixed in with the chemicals of the flush?

Engine flush is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom