Oily decisions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rik430

Car
CLK430
I’ve just read the thread about choosing the correct oil and o can’t make sense of it. On one link it recommends one and on another link it recommends another??? :(

So I’m going to ask would..........

“Mobil Super 3000” 5w-40 fully synthetic oil be ok to use in my CLK430 that’s covered 120000 miles??
Thanks

I’ve just read the thread about choosing the correct oil and o can’t make sense of it. On one link it recommends one and on another link it recommends another??? :(

So I’m going to ask would..........

“Mobil Super 3000” 5w-40 fully synthetic oil be ok to use in my CLK430 that’s covered 120000 miles??
Thanks
Yes.

My indy reckons that moving from 0-40w to 5w-40 on higher mileage AMGs is the way to go.
You could also use Mercedes labelled ( probably Petronas) 5w/40 that is sold in 20 ltr containers for around £70. Enough for two oil changes and some top ups. Just be sure to get 229.50 spec. MB Newcastle and Edinburgh sell the 20 lt containers.

Yes.

My indy reckons that moving from 0-40w to 5w-40 on higher mileage AMGs is the way to go.
You could also use Mercedes labelled ( probably Petronas) 5w/40 that is sold in 20 ltr containers for around £70. Enough for two oil changes and some top ups. Just be sure to get 229.50 spec. MB Newcastle and Edinburgh sell the 20 lt containers.

Is this the one? I was gonna pay £80 for just 8ltrs!!
Thanks

^ Yes. That is what my indy put in my E55 before Mercedes labelled oil was introduced.
Buying in bulk is a great saver. That is a good oil IMO.

Is this the one? I was gonna pay £80 for just 8ltrs!!
Thanks

The particular variant in this add is:

"MB-Approval 229.51"

Which is low-ash oil for Diesel cars equipped with DPF.

You should look for similar oil that says:

"MB-Approval 229.5"

This will be the right oil for your car.

E.g.:

I thought you could put 229.51 in petrol engines but not 229.50 in diesels?

I thought you could put 229.51 in petrol engines but not 229.50 in diesels?

There's a compatibility list published by MB and indeed it shows that 229.51 is 'compatible' with most of their petrol engines. However this does not apply to all their engines and I wouldn't use it in an AMG. At any rare, 229.5 is still MB's 'recommended' oil for all their petrol engines.

I understood that the changes to make oil low ash (229.51) has a negative impact on the lubrication qualities. Therefore it should only be used where it is mandated (diesels with DPFs) and 229.5 should be used in petrol engines.
I assume that it is not wrong to use 229.51 spec oil in petrol engines but probably better to use the better lubrication 229.5 oil, especially in more highly stressed AMG engines.

I've known MB dealers to put in 229.51 , technically there's no problem , actually a gain through extra detergents and dispersants in the diesel spec .

Despite reduced zinc and phosphorus in diesel low saps oil there is no difference due to better basestocks and friction modifiers in the additive package .

Screenshot_20201223-040526_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201223-040306_Chrome.jpg

But hey I don't use MB spec oil in a Mercedes...

20200721_174852.jpg

^ Yes. That is what my indy put in my E55 before Mercedes labelled oil was introduced.
Buying in bulk is a great saver. That is a good oil IMO.
Apologies. I didn't read the full spec of this oil. I have always had 229.5 in my AMG's as mentioned in Post#2 above, not 229.51.
Other members with more knowledge of lubricants have said 229.51 is OK.

Apologies. I didn't read the full spec of this oil. I have always had 229.5 in my AMG's as mentioned in Post#2 above, not 229.51.
Other members with more knowledge of lubricants have said 229.51 is OK.

MB have a list showing which petrol engines can take 229.51 oil (most can), but their recommended oil for these engines is still 229.5.

MB have a list showing which petrol engines can take 229.51 oil (most can), but their recommended oil for these engines is still 229.5.
:thumb: Which was why I mentioned using 229.5 in his AMG in Post#2. My fault for not picking up that oil wasn't 229.5.

It's better than any spec to buy , the Mercedes specs are often included as 504.00 exceeds them .

VW don't mess around they produce a one stop shop universal high quality manufacturer spec oil that does 1.0L petrol , diesel , PD , LongLife , common rail , TFSl , n/a , turbo charged , super charged , 3 - 10 cylinder , S and RS models .

It's better than any spec to buy , the Mercedes specs are often included as 504.00 exceeds them .

VW don't mess around they produce a one stop shop universal high quality manufacturer spec oil that does 1.0L petrol , diesel , PD , LongLife , common rail , TFSl , n/a , turbo charged , super charged , 3 - 10 cylinder , S and RS models .
Just spotted this for a stupidly low price, seems to meet 504/507

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom