Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Go for the Jag

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Merc is the one

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Something else

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lotusmark2

MB Enthusiast
Car
Fiat 500, Mercedes B200
Hi All
As you may know, Fiona and I are expecting our first rug rat in November and I have found myself wondering if my Meriva will be big enough to fit everything in.
I must admit you can get a fair amount of stuff in it but I have no idea how much I will need to fit in once a little one appears.
SO
While Fiona is away on Holiday I have found myself looking around autotrader:crazy: (I know, bad idea)
I have seen a nice 51 plate E220 cdi Estate
media

and a nice 04 plate X-type 2.0d Estate
media

So that hard facts are that the value of my Mevira and these cars is about the same but my Meriva is an 06 plate with 35k miles on it, am I mad to think of changing to older cars that are hovering around the 100k miles??
Looking for input on three things.
1. how big a car do I need for children
2. should I change from the Meriva
3. Opinions/suggestions re my car choices
Thanks
Mark

Last edited:
The size difference between the X type and W210 are leagues apart. The W210 is a proper family car, plenty of space, whilst that Jag is tiny!

I bought a W210 estate, it has the largest loading capacity in its class, come to think of it, there are none that spring to mind.

Also i blew an engine in a X type jag after 400 miles, so never again :devil:

And the Jag estate is pointless, i fit more in an E Class saloon boot than in their estate!

Thanks KLP,
I must admit the sie of the Jag boot was not great but still on paper 100 litres more than the Meriva (for what that figure is worth??)

I suppose the question is how big is big enough???????

The Meriva would be plenty big enough.
My wife has an A180 CDI and she gets all three of ours in during the week including all the equipment kids seem to need nowadays.
At the end of the day you have to look at who will be driving the Meriva most and what they would be happier with.

Thanks Marcos,
That is a very fair point. My wife has not got a licence yet but is going to get her test paced before November. Must admit she may be happier with the Meriva than an estate.
Thanks for the great feedback guys, keep it coming

What about safety? We will NOT buy a car which is NOT 5 star. Life is too short to risk...

I would go with Merc :)

Cheers
Chris

Last edited:
What about safety? We will NOT buy a car which is NOT 5 star. Life is too short to risk...

He rides a bike that does 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. I don't think safety is that big a concern. :p

Mmmm. I supose he won't be taking the kiddie on the bike though :D

He rides a bike that does 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. I don't think safety is that big a concern. :p :D
:D Fair point, well made
But my safety and that of the wife and baby are two very different things:p

Just because you own a bike that does 0-60 in 2.9 doesn't automatically mean that the owner does that. Its not law that you always have to have the pedal to the metal.
However. back to the original question.
The Meriva WILL be big enough - if space is the only issue. We managed to shoehorn everything for a weeks holiday for me and the wife, a 5 and a 1 year old into a Fiesta.
When I say INTO, what I really mean is we also had a roof box as well.
The Meriva is big enough.
Sure, you can always do with some thing a tad larger - just like a house - but you will find that if you bought something bigger - like an Espace for example, all you would do is fill it up with stuff you probably wont need anyway. Space will always be filled.
Your last point in the post above is worrying. Your safety affects your family whether you like it or not.
I DO know what you are saying, but as soon as the little one is a reality and is an actual person in your arms, your whole attitude to life will change. Its the biggest thing that will EVER happen to you and as such yours and your wifes life and everything will change.
Sorry if I am sounding like a silly old sod, but having been there three times, I do know what you have ahead of you and what you have to expect.
My advice is keep the car - at least until junior is a month or two old. You will then be in much better position to know exactly what your own personal requirements are. At this present time you are guessing and might make the wrong choices.

Thanks Dave, very well written post.
I know that you took my comments in the way intended but for any that didn't yes I was being flippant with my bike comments and you are right, just because you can, does not mean you have to (fast bikes etc) The limiting factor on most bikes is not the machine, its the couple of hundred pounds of baggage sat in the saddle and I am VERY aware of my own limitations in that respect;)

But back on topic, as ever I am very grateful for the sound and balnced advice that I get from the guys and girls on here, a good idea to perhaps wait until after the birth and see what I really need

I was thinking that If I was you, I would be tempted by either a Range Rover or the new shape Discovery.
Putting a baby into and out of a high roofed car is SO, SO, SO much easier that a normal height car - whatever the badge or style.
It really is. Ask any parent.
A point more than worthy of consideration.

You could trade it for the newer roomier post 2005 Vauxhall Zaphira or alternatively if you want a good handling small MPV the Ford Focus C max might fit the bill. Both have quite good safety ratings. As far a safety is concerned NEWER IS BETTER seems to be a pretty good rule of thumb with side impacts being better catered for in newer models. A leggy SAAB 93 estate would be an outfield choice and possibly quite cheap. SAAB's used car warranty recently got an award -mind you they need it!

Thanks Dave,
My only reservations with the 4 x 4 idea is the fuel economy and road tax issues. Just cant see the cost of owning one of these doing anythng but go through the oof in the next couple of years.

Thanks Dave,
My only reservations with the 4 x 4 idea is the fuel economy and road tax issues. Just cant see the cost of owning one of these doing anythng but go through the oof in the next couple of years.

Tdi's only of course. Forget petrol for the reasons which you so rightly mention.

Do you have any close friends with a very young baby?
If so, it might be worth borrowing the little one for a few hours and see how you cope with your present car.
Have you asked any close friends for their advice?
The high roofline cars do make life sooooo much easier. Which is why so many families with babies have one.
Its not the safety aspect why they buy them, its the ease of access issue.

Cheer Dave
I'm afraid most of my mates with children live 150+ miles away but its a good idea, I may make a trip!

Forgive my ignorance but under the new plans for road tax etc what would a Diesel ML of Range Rover cost to tax?

Hi there

For what's it's worth I my C43 saloon was fine when we had just the one kiddo.

I only went for an estate when number two came along.

As much as it pains me to say it I'd be inclined to stick with the Meriva for a while. They're not very big, but are flexible and until you know what baby gear you're going to go for and what'll you need you don't really know what car you want/need.

If you did want to move up a size then do consider a Zafira or a C-Max. I know people with both and they swear by them. If funds would run to it then you could look at a B class.

My workhorse is a Meriva 1.6 easytronic. Not the worlks most exciting drive by any stretch, but comfortable to drive and a reasonable balance between perfromance and economy. So far 100% reliable ( 4 years, 40k miles)

It will seat 5 comfortably, with enough room for luggage, or 4 with room for more luggage. The rear seats fold flat in about 20 seconds, without any need for grunting and cursing, they are quite clever. That gives it huge amounts of space. Add roof bars and a roof box, and amazing amounts can be moved!

So all I'm much more impressed than I expected it to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom