OK, so I bid on & missed out on a set of AMG alloys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

6CylinderMerc

Car
W203 C240 Elegance
They were on ebay. A used set of 4 x AMG Style IV in 17" with tyres. Looked in pretty good condition & they sold for £355 + £40 postage. Got outbid at the last minute & this damn work comp was too slow to get another bid in. :mad:

Wonder if this is a blessing in disguise as I can't help thinking that 18" would look particularly nice :D.

17" or 18"?

Yes, 18s look nice. But the ride will be worse. It all depends where your priorities lie.

As you use the word "look" in your post I suspect that comes high on your list of priorities.
18's would look nicer than 17's. The same as 17's look more modern than 16's.
Use this experience as your blessing in disguise and go for the 18's. A tad more expensive but better as I am sure you will agree.

Got outbid at the last minute & this damn work comp was too slow to get another bid in. :mad:
So why didn't you enter what you were actually prepared to pay for them (maximum price) in the first place? :confused:

Plus it could have gone for alot more. Just because he or she won it at that price doesnt mean it wouldnt have kept going up!

That said appears to be a bargin!

Last edited:
So why didn't you enter what you were actually prepared to pay for them (maximum price) in the first place? :confused:

I got my bid in with 20secs left. They sold for £5 more than my highest bid but as ever with ebay, you never know what the other persons highest bid is. I might have had to go another £100 or more :confused:

I think they went cheap because the seller had listed them as "Mewrcerdes AMG Alloys". I searched for "AMG Alloys" ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=270205864213&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

I got my bid in with 20secs left. They sold for £5 more than my highest bid
But you were talking about putting another bid in .... so your "highest bid" obviously wasn't the maximum you were prepared to pay?!

I don't particularly like those alloys - the way the spokes don't go right to the end and then there is an outer rim/lip makes them look a lot smaller than they are. They end up looking like 16s rather than 17s IMO.

But you were talking about putting another bid in .... so your "highest bid" obviously wasn't the maximum you were prepared to pay?!

Don't we all like to go a little more if we think it's not quite enough? ;) I tried to bid just another £25 to see.....

Don't we all like to go a little more if we think it's not quite enough? ;)
Well, no - I put in what I'm prepared to pay. If it goes over that then fine, the item is too expensive. If it doesn't reach my maximum bid then I'm happy as I get it for less.

If you put in a lower bid than you're actually prepared to pay then obviously you risk losing the item, and can hardly complain about it afterwards!

My ones (genuine!)
The auction ones look the same to me........

Last edited:
If you put in a lower bid than you're actually prepared to pay then obviously you risk losing the item, and can hardly complain about it afterwards!
I wasn't complaining so much about losing the item. More about the pc I'm using that made me lose it by being too slow to get in a 2nd bid :p

R2 - Go on, admit it!! You lined up the AMG logos and star logo for that photo didn't you!!?? :p

I may be totally wrong, but a friend of mine has original 18" amgs IV and they seem to look like this.....i also just read the post again and noticed the ones u bid on were 17"s! DOH!
18srb4.jpg

I may be totally wrong, but a friend of mine has original 18" amgs IV and they seem to look like this.....i also just read the post again and noticed the ones u bid on were 17"s! DOH!
QUOTE]

There are at least 4 variants of style iv wheels. I reckon the auction ones looked OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom