OK this is weird - keyless locking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cb1965

Banned
Car
N/A
I have had an issue with my passenger door handle for a while. The trim on the top kept popping up so thought I would remove the handle and see if I could work out how to fix it.

Anyway removed the door handle no problem and sorted the issue (screw had missed the lug) and reinstalled it. As my car has keyless entry I thought I would ensure all was well before putting the end plate back on the door trim.

Shut the door and tried the keyless lock, dash binged and said door was open and it didn't lock. Balls! I must have messed something up so took door handle back out, but all connections looked good so put it all back together and tested again... same issue.

Ah well, I would need to do some research to find what the problem might be, but would do that another day as could still lock the car with the fob. So I put the door end plate back on anyway.

Shut the door and instinctively pressed the keyless entry button to lock the car. Bingo it locked. Huh?

Tried it over and over ... all fine.

So I wondered... I removed the door end plate again and tried it again without it on.... back to having the fault... says the door is open and won't lock.

Replaced the end plate and it all works again.

WHY???? LOL!

Iirc the end plate presses in the push button for the door, so it knows its closed

If you mean the “end plate” is item 5 in picture, then it is the strike plate for the courtesy light switch, if item 5, is not attached to the door when the door is shut then the door pin switch will not be pushed inwards and the car will think the door is open.

B_top.jpg

B_bot.jpg

Dec

Aha, cheers Acid and Dec, OK that makes sense now. Should have thought of that really. Didn't think it would affect the keyless locking, but I guess it makes sense.

This the end plate on the SL:

door_trim_06_zpse8c55293.jpg

Will take a closer look tomorrow, but that must be the answer. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom