Old boiler !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gareth Kent

Hello chaps. Any heating engineers on here please? Am looking for guidance/suggestions.

The 30 year old boiler in my house has just packed up as the gas injectors are shot and are no longer available as replacement parts as such I am told full boiler replacement is required. My excellent but old school local heating engineers have exhausted their parts suppliers and even checked their shed!

The current boiler is part of a gravity system with water storage in the attic, with a separate copper hot water tank in a landing cupboard. The boiler is cited in the kitchen, floor mounted with the flu going into the central chimney.

That in itself is not much of a problem as I am locked in with a builder to begin an extension and returb of the house starting in January and had anticipated and budgeted for a new boiler and re-plumb.

As part of the refurbishment works we will have the new boiler location moved to a utility room in the new extension as part of a new system.

My issue is one of timing in that if I get the heating system changed now I will need to incur the cost of changing all the pipe work and associated disruption, only to have to do it again when we move the boiler as part of the refurbishment.

My questions are:
- Does anyone know or can they suggest a way of just replacing the existing boiler like for like and keeping the existing location and pipe work as an interim measure, and if so is this even allowed/safe under current regulations ?

- Or is there such thing as used boiler parts, akin to parts from a breakers from which I can source the injector and soldier on hoping the boiler makes it through the winter until I move out and refurb ?

The old boiler model and part required is:
- Ideal Standard Boiler 80N
- Ideal Standard Injector part required is 002610

I have done a few web searches and can not find a clear answer on this so thoughts / suggestions welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone

You should be able to connect a new system boiler to your existing pipework but I believe the system will need to be power flushed for the boiler warranty. Presumably you can fit a wall mounted boiler in lieu of floor standing?

My son had new parts fitted to his 30 year old Ideal Standard boiler recently but it was only a thermostat and spark igniter.

I doubt it will be as easy as a straight swap with a little extra pipework.

The regs have changed a lot since your original boiler was fitted, even down to the diameter of the incoming gas pipe from meter to boiler. You will have a magnetic filter fitted and the boiler is vented outside differently to the old system.

It would be nice to think you can source the parts needed to keep your old boiler going until your refurb takes place.

30 years old ? when was the last time it was pressure tested ? Not sure I would want to keep it.

What does your insurer say about it ? The floor standing ones we have at work have to be insurance checked every year. Different from domestic I know, but it is done for a reason.

Good luck

Gareth, are you in Kent as your name suggests?

If not, where are you?

- Does anyone know or can they suggest a way of just replacing the existing boiler like for like and keeping the existing location and pipe work as an interim measure, and if so is this even allowed/safe under current regulations ?

Does your hot water tank have an immersion heater - or can it be fitted with one? If so you could use that as an interim HW solution.

Would electric heaters be acceptable for heating the house for the early (usually less cold part of the winter).

Just how well these work is dependent on perceived comfort requirements and the build of the house - but I had a relative who lost the use if his boiler for a month and went to Argos and bought a batch of cheap heaters - we were surprised by how toasty the house was - but that was a relatively modern build.

Dryce said:
Does your hot water tank have an immersion heater - or can it be fitted with one? If so you could use that as an interim HW solution. Would electric heaters be acceptable for heating the house for the early (usually less cold part of the winter). Just how well these work is dependent on perceived comfort requirements and the build of the house - but I had a relative who lost the use if his boiler for a month and went to Argos and bought a batch of cheap heaters - we were surprised by how toasty the house was - but that was a relatively modern build.
Thanks - we have an immersion which is fine for hot water but will need proper central heating come mid to end of sept.

Last edited:
Petrol Pete said:
30 years old ? when was the last time it was pressure tested ? Not sure I would want to keep it. What does your insurer say about it ? The floor standing ones we have at work have to be insurance checked every year. Different from domestic I know, but it is done for a reason. Good luck
Serviced and Tested annually with CO2 monitors in place. Will check ins docs now you mention it.

AMGeed said:
It would be nice to think you can source the parts needed to keep your old boiler going until your refurb takes place.
Me too. That's the ideal scenario. It's a £10 part that went out of production in 2014 with no cross over parts compatible (according to the manufacturer). I am calling suppliers but all coming up blank so far.

Have you tried searching via the appliance gas council number GCN rather than the manufacturer no?

grober said:
Have you tried searching via the appliance gas council number GCN rather than the manufacturer no?
yes indeed. Identifying the part is easy, it's just no longer made so best chance is if it's lying in a stockroom somewhere, or available as a working used part.

I would go with what Dryce said.
In my experience once the builders get stuck in and start mucking about with an ageing system, maybe draining it and removing rads it'll never work properly again.
Go to Screwfix and cheap a load of leccy heaters.

I would go with what Dryce said.
In my experience once the builders get stuck in and start mucking about with an ageing system, maybe draining it and removing rads it'll never work properly again.
Go to Screwfix and cheap a load of leccy heaters.
Agree! Had the same problem when we did a major house renovation and moved from external 8 yr old oil combi boiler to a system boiler in studio 3 m from the main house. Once the combi was drained to change the pipe work it could not be restarted. After 1 days labour we gave up and used immersion and electric rads for 6 weeks in December/ Jan .
You will be amazed how well you can keep warm using oil filled rads plus a Dyson fan heater for fast heating in lounge. If u cannot find the part you need this is the way to go

Markjay has a boiler going cheap in the classifieds.
May be cost effective.

I believe that any new boiler fitted now has to be a condensing boiler.

Electric fan heaters for £15 a pop in Argos

Do an excellent job i often use it rather than central heating for fast heating when I get back and to keep your feet nice and toasty

I believe that any new boiler fitted now has to be a condensing boiler.

Yes I believe that is correct but it doesnt have to be a combi and can be wall or floor mounted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom