Old buses in Bristol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palfrem

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
Been to Bristol to have a look at SS Great Britain - splendid!

Also saw a club meet for bus enthusiasts. Don't know if there are any on here but thought it worth posting for nostalgia value if nothing else.

Not really my thing but they look super.

Great photos , I'm not particularly a bus fan but anyone who is into vehicles or mechanics has to admire the dedication of the people who keep history alive ln this way.

Great photos, thanks for posting. I particularly like the tow truck bus!!

I watched a documentary a few years ago about the golden age of the British coach industry, and the eye catching liveries used to differentiate operators.

I forget most of the detail now but I do recall that there was a big Associated Motorways coach station in Cheltenham where services interconnected for 6 major operators - I would love to have seen it in full swing.

Not a "fan" but I do like to see the old commercial vehicles (too long selling them I guess! :D) Thanks for posting!

For anyone who is a fan, the Luton Festival of Transport at Stockwood Park usually has a fair few to enjoy!

Luton Festival Of Transport - CVPG

Great pics, thanks, they take me back a bit. We used to have trolley buses where I lived til about 1968/9. I chuckled last week when passing through Polperro, where they have a park and ride "trolley bus" service. They are "Ernie" type electric milk floats, converted to look like vintage buses, complete with a rear exterior "staircase", which leads to a walled roof with no seating!

Palfrem - Interesting pics.. pleasant surprise to see these on a post here.. makes a change..

im not a bus enthusiast, but anything from history seems to impress me these days.. dunno..!

In 1970 I rescued a 1947 Dennis from scrapyard and kept and run it for a few years,,towing a $ ton engine to the steam rallies
I gave £100 for her,,sold later for £250
Now worth over £20,000

Type CFN154 into your search engine and see her

Interesting, thanks for posting!

Mrs BTB thinks it's bad enough I keep an SL in the garage ... I can imagine her reaction if I fancied having a vintage bus instead :eek: :D

Great pictures. Thank you.

Notice how all the buses have "faces" which gives them real character. Something that we seem to have lost today with the rectangular boxes that have on he streets.

I think that the Route Master is/was a fantastic thing, a truly iconic bit of design.

Nice pictures but imagine the size of garage you'd need :rock:

I've always a hankering for a Harrington Legionaire....anyone know why I wonder?

Great photos, thanks for posting. I particularly like the tow truck bus!!

+1 love that tow truck bus!

Would be amazing to have the space to keep and run a vintage bus (although the attraction would probably wear off after a few horrendous bills).

IIRC in the early 2000s all of the Routemasters in London were recommissioned at a cost of several £10000s each in mechanical and bodywork, they were expected to be in service for many more years.

When these were all sold off a few years later due to Ken wanting to move to modern buses they would have made a great buy if you had the space, in my view. I think under 10k would secure one at the time after only having a few years usage following the full restoration.

Has to be an appreciating asset.

Last edited:
They still use Routemasters on a couple of routes in London ... I see them every day!

They still use Routemasters on a couple of routes in London ... I see them every day!

Wow - didn't realise that. Thought they were tourist stylie only these days.

There was a huge bus garage close to where I used to live in London and there were literally 100's of them in active service parked up in there late in the evenings.

There is a bus museum at the Brooklands museum now.

Buses aren't my think , but it is pretty impressive all the same.

Worth a look if you are in the area

I drink with a couple of bus bangers and pictures like these they go all nostalgic remembering the days when the bus chassis cabs were built in Bristol and driven all over the country to have the various bodies assembled on them. I do remember seeing them driven with absolutely no bodywork and the driver with a thick coat and goggles, must have frozen to death in the winter months:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom