Old Car Phone Kit problem - Nokia Handsfree Upgrade Options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melk63

Car
W215 CL600 V12 Bi-Turbo, AMG pack, Designo trim
I have bought a 2001 ML55 that came with a Nokia Hands free phone kit (Cark 126) fitted. This is a very old kit but has been installed well and integrated into the Becker BE3317 (Mercedes Audio30) wiring so it sends the sound to the front speakers and cuts the radio out when a call comes in.

The problem is that I don't have any of the old Nokia phones that would fit the cradle, and would like to fit a bluetooth device instead of this kit, to pair with my Iphone and HTC phones.

I have done some research and found a few options. I would like your help with which one of the following options is best in term of easy installation and least modification to what is already there:

1. Keep the existing Nokia Car kit but change some of the wiring to upgrade to a Nokia Cark91 phone kit that then accepts a bluetooth adaptor similar to Viseeo.

2. Take out the Nokia kit and replace with a bluetooth kit such as Nokia CK7W.

3. Take out the Nokia kit and replace with Parrot Bluetooth kit.

I know in the long run best option would be to replace the head unit with a bluetooth enabled unit, but that may be some time off.

Your advice is appreciated.
Mel.

Well you know all your options. If you plan to change the headunit to one with bluetooth at a later date go for the cheapest option.

Another option is buy a Nokia phone that fits the car kit and divert calls to the car phone when in the car. Obvisouly this will use up your cross network minutes

Personally I would just change the stereo. You dont have to spend hundreds to get a decent one with bluetooth.

Head-Units From Car Audio Direct

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes the head unit will be replaced at some point but it won't be easy at the CD Changer is connected via fibre optics D2B system.

The options in the post were in order of easy to hard. So I guess it's the first one. I have used a Viseeo before and it worked reasonably well with all my phones, and I have read the Nokia adaptor is made by the same people.

I will post another thread to get opinions on the replacement for Head Unit. Meanwhile, thanks again.

Any other views most welcome.
Mel.

The cd changer isnt going to work with an aftermarket radio so just remove and sell on.

You will probably find a 2nd hand BT HF kit cheaper on ebay than the cost of the changing the kit to one that supports the device like the viseeo and the cost of the device.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have looked into the costs and they are roughly the same. A new HF kit will need more work to integrate into existing speaker system, mic, power, antenna, etc. as well as removing the Nokia kit.

I do agree with your comment about the CD Changer. However the other concern I have is with the Bose amp. I guess that is also on the fibre optic circuit and would have to be ditched along with the speakers if I upgrade the head unit. That is why I thought it will be bigger job for some time later. I am looking into fitting a W164 head unit as a retrofit.
Mel.

As you have a ML (i.e standard DIN size unit, no steering wheel controls or IC display), my temptation would be to replace the head unit with something like a Alpine CDE-133BT

It will pretty much plug and play install (you have to run the mic cable up to the inside mirror area). It will give you iPod interface (so you can ignore the CD changer), colour selection of the screen so it matches the rest of the car AND built-in parrot bluetooth system. Sell the CDC and buy and old iPod for the car.

The only issue is that the iPod plugs into the front of the CDE-133BT. If you intend to leave the iPod in the car, consider getting the "just replaced" CDE-126BT (not the 125BT as it doesnt do many colours..) head unit instead and the iPod cable, so that the wiring is in the back of the unit.

Just to add confusion, you could put in a double din unit - Alpine have nice once of those too. CD-W235BT - but same issue with only front iPod/USB connection.

Richard

You need to check if you have digital BOSE or analogue BOSE. Digital BOSE is on the fibre optics and gives you a problem. Analogue BOSE *may* work, although I have not actually tried that

W164 unit is a different shape front. And uses MOST not D2B fibre optics, so wont be compatible with anything. It also needs CANbus for its control signals (ignition on, lights on etc) which won't be there on the W163 ML you have..

R

Thanks for the advice. very useful and prompted me to go and check the Bose setup. I checked out the Bose tonight and confirmed its not on the fibre optics circuit (just pulled the fibre cable out and the speakers still worked). So that opens up a few doors, and closes others! A w164 unit is out of question, and your suggestions of Alpine head units would be just right. The only thing is I quite like to keep the OEM look of head units so may be tempted to retrofit a simple Mercedes unit like this:

MERCEDES BENZ RADIO/CD AUDIO UNIT MODEL NO MF2510 NO NEED TO CODE | eBay

Or something that is not MOST based. Need to do some more research on which would be the right unit for both connections and size.
Thanks again for Your advice. Very much appreciated.
Mel.

Above unit is still a W164 unit, the shape is different so wont fit your dash.

Above unit is still a W164 unit, the shape is different so wont fit your dash.

Thanks for that. Do you know ANY Mercedes unit with Bluetooth that is not MOST based that would fit a w163?
Mel.

Mercedes units didnt have full bluetooth built in till 2008. The Comand NTG2.5 in the W164 would be the first ML unit that had it but wont fit your car.

Aftermarket really is the only option. You can fit a double din too. Dyanvin is an option http://www.dynavin.com/products/product_dnv_w210.php

Or fit any of the W163 units and use an aftermarket phone kit.

Last edited:
Thanks, all extremely useful advice. I'll post back how I get on. Mel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom