Old computer won't boot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Got an old desktop PC with Win XP that I keep around for occasional use (it's got Firewire so I can capture from old DV tapes, and it's got some config. software for some of my r/c equipment that doesn't run under Win7).

I power it up every few months to pick up the latest updates and generally keep it ticking over. Today it wouldn't boot - it stops with this displayed on screen (I assume from the self-test):

X399 SE 128MB BIOS P/N 113-A33406-100

I can't get into setup (it stops before that point).

I've opened the case and re-seated all the power and data cables, generally everything looks OK. This made no difference.

I've never replaced the battery, but I'd expect an error message if that was the problem?

The PC has 4 diagnostic LEDs on the back ... looking up the explanation for the combination it's showing suggests nothing very helpful. Check all plugs/connectors (done that), if there's an error relating to a specific device check that (there isn't), check boot sequence in setup (can't get into setup), otherwise "if problem persists contact Dell".

Any brainwaves?

Thanks in advance! :)

Contact Dell??

No error messages for the battery, usually just time/date slippage.

I'm no expert but have had several failed HD experiences, perhaps that is your prob...

Do you hear the HD whirring?

If not, do you get the same message and sequence with the HD power cable unplugged?

Try re-sitting the memory modules, or removing them one at a time.

Also try re-siting any cards.

Hard disk is indeed a possibility, but this should not stop you from going into the setup. You can try disconnecting the hard disk drive and see if the setup becomes accessible.

I would try clearing the NVRAM first -

remove the power cable and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds to drain any remaining charge.

Remove the PSWD jumper from the motherboard.
If you're not sure where the jumper plugs are on the motherboard, you may need to google it or check the manual.

Use the PSWD jumper, and put it on the RTCRST jumper for 5 seconds.
Put the jumper back onto the PSWD pins.

Reconnect the power cable then try and boot as normal.

Definitely not the hard drive as not required to access the BIOS.

Also not likely to be the CMOS battery as you would get a CMOS Checksum error usually at boot. Could be worth removing and replacing just in case though.

Many thanks guys. I removed and re-inserted the memory boards yesterday, so unless one has suddenly died I don't think it's that. But some great leads above ... will give it a go.

There's no data on the PC so worst case I can chuck it, but I would like to save it if I can! The PC is coming up to 8 years old and the battery is the original one which is why my gut feel was it could be something to with that.

Haven't tried ... it does have a 3.5" drive but last time I tried to use it it didn't work!

If you can't get into the BIOS, as said it wont be related to booting i.e. hard disk / floppy etc.

A motherboard in a 4700 at work gave up the ghost but the LED combination was useful.

If the NVRAM/BIOS discharge doesn't resolve, I would remove everything except memory, CPU and graphics card (if separate) and try it.

If that doesn't work, I would try the bear minimum memory (can't remember if single or pair required) and swap around to test.

If not, it is likely to be the motherboard, memory or CPU (in that order).

Quick update.

CMOS battery was down to 2.5V so fitted a new one.
Cleared CMOS.
Removed the memory in slots 3 & 4.
Booted into setup, removed floppy drive (which I think is duff) from boot sequence.

Seems to be running fine now. Many thanks again for the suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom