Old enough to know better but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

french

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi TT RS 2.5 , Zanussi Wd12: - LG Combi Multiwave - Swan 9 slice toaster with removable crumb tray
Ok so its not exactly me ...but that makes it even worse...

My daughters boyfriend, 21yrs old wants to buy a newer car.

He has owned a 2012 car with full Dealer history with 20,200+ miles from new for the past 4 yrs & is the 2nd owner.

He has been looking at various cars, he's been to the dealerships etc.
I for my sins have offered to help as he really is green to this.

So he has come across a car that was registered in March this year

The "story" starts off the car was originally bought by this guy but unfortunately his wife found the car to low to get in & out of. So they purchased another car hence the sale.

From there I contacted the seller & said would he just want a cash sale or could he take a low mile P/x, he said he could & also arrange finance ...? ( 1st bell)

I queried was he a dealer & he said no the car belongs to his mother, I said yes I read the ad they have now bought a bigger vehicle... Well er no... that was the previous owners who bought it from the dealers in March, who are very close friends to his mum.
Mmm , so I say that would make "us" the 3rd owner's on a 8 month old car?

Well no again (? 2nd bell)... "How's that" I ask, well my mum has not registered the car in her name, she waited to see if she liked it or not... it turns out she does not like it. ( Sniff sniff BS ?)

So I said you are trying to sell a car that is not registered to your mum.
Yes, but we have the original bill of sale from the previous owners & the bill of sale to the mother & you can transfer the warranty? You can contact them if you want to...Really...

Now the young man in question wants to to go & look at the car & is as most 21yr olds would on a deal that is (imo) to good to be true & is very enthusiastic.
I on the other hand am saying walk away, its around £3-4000 cheaper than most of the same cars but without a garage backup.
I am even more careful as this young man is totally green & a very honest wide eyed fella when it comes to cars in general.
I have no dealings with finance ever so am not myself clued up & I feel protective of him so want him to forget it but the "Low price is enticing to him as **** Lovetts wanted £31000 + for the same car in leather & auto???

Maybe SPX or some of you guys could offer some advice that I could show the young man, I don't want to make a mistake as this is £20k + of his money!

Red flags all over the place pal; if it looks like bullshit and smells like bullshit then it’s almost certainly bullshit.

It’s not such a worry when you’re looking at a car for a couple of grand or so but when you’re spending a big lump on a newish prestige car (and you don’t have experience of *the trade*) the best bet by a long chalk is to buy from a reputed Trader and pay a few % more but be able to sleep at night.

What car is it? Have you got a link to the advert?

Traders of cheap(er) cars tend to play the 'private sale' game so they don't have to offer a warranty.

A trader (I'm assuming he is) doing this on a newish car and a cheap price screams a lemon that is requiring an expensive non-warranty repair or is a CAT C/D repair

He's astute at something if he can spend around £25k on a car at 21. Sit him down and explain it...he'll catch on.

buy from a reputed Trader and pay a few % more but be able to sleep at night.

My thoughts exactly pay for the peace of mind at that sort of money.
I caught a private seller out once when i was looking to buy a Chrysler (don't ask) for my cousin who asked me to help, their story and the car wasn't quite kosher and it seemed way to good to be true compared to others at the time. I never Hpi check a car before but that one i did as it turned out they had £4000 to pay off which they were trying to shift on to someone else because of money problems and they were asking £7000 for the car. To look at the couple though you really wouldn't have thought it they were really nice.
Moral of the story .... trust your gut feeling.

walk away... plenty of cars around. this seems very very very dodgy

On your marks - get set - run like hell ! Is it stolen ?

To look at the couple though you really wouldn't have thought it they were really nice.
The mark of a successful con-artist.

As others have already said, the car / vendor in the OP's post rings so many warning bells you'd have to be deaf not to hear them.

Avoid it at all cost.........it looks like a hairdressers car.........u need to have a word with the young man

How is a private seller able to offer finance?

Avoid at all costs.
I did ask & he says his father's mate is a car dealer ? Surely the Finance company would only OK this if the said dealer was actually selling the car as his stock, which would then mean this car had to have warranty , is it 3 - 6 mths if you buy from a dealer ? I wonder if this is a dealer trying to avoid paying Income tax on selling cars ? The car itself should be fine with 720 miles on it ...very puzzling but also a bit "To good to be true" so I'll let the young fella read this thread ...Thanks again guys!

As you just said if it’s too good to be true, it usually is.
Looks good in the eBay advert but all the other things you said trouble me deeply.

You've suzzed out a dodgy car sale, well done; at least the clueless young man sought advice from you. Quite simple surely, tell him it's dodgy and you'll have nothing more to do with it. Tell him there are many good straightforward cars out there, could you find him one? If he wants to pursue this particular car then on his head be it and he will learn from the experience.

Why not just run an HPi check? If that's clear and ownership proof is obtainable what's the problem?

It's within manufacturers warranty. So even a trader sale would be referring you back to manufacturers for warranty issues.

Worth a call to BMW to check it?

Hi,
Just the sellers mobile number smacks of being a car dealer - it’s a very memorable number.
Cheers
Steve

Repaired accident damaged? Or stolen recovered?

Unusual to see an M-Sport without leather, so was it maybe burnt out or flood damaged?

Hi,
Just the sellers mobile number smacks of being a car dealer - it’s a very memorable number.
Cheers
Steve
Plug that number into Google and you find that he also sold a Jaguar XF on eBay earlier this month. His dad’s car?

I agree with all the others. It’s far too much money to risk. If it looks too good to be true ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom