Old jewellery

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by gaz_l, Oct 27, 2011.

1. gaz_l

gaz_l Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mini Cooper S, VW Beetle Cabrio
    Greetings, Citizens.

With the broad spread of knowledge on here, I wondered if there was anyone who knows a friendly jeweller who could cast an eye over a couple of items?

Background: when my wife's father died a couple of years back she and her sister inherited a box of jewellery, assorted. They have got around to sorting it out a bit, and although most of it looks like tat there are a couple of rings that may be worth a few quid. One in particular I think, the stones are definitely diamonds and although they are significantly included and not particularly well cut this is a ring that dates from early last century. The weight in total I would guess at around a carat (one centre stone and 8 satellites), so not to be sneezed at.

There is no sentimental value associated with this, and Mrs. Gaz and her sister would just like to get a fair price. This is obviously not going to happen if they go to a "WE BUY GOLD!!" outlet, so does anyone have a better suggestion? Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

Gaz

2. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    Go round your local 'old-fashioned' goldsmiths who, would you believe it, give more honest and genuine prices than those shysters on TV.

3. Palfrem

Palfrem Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
    Where do you live?

The Jewellery Quarter in Brum is very good. There's lots of shops within 10 minutes walk of each other so you can tote your stuff round in an hour or so to get a good price

4. Stratman

Stratman Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
    I think Ernest Jones do a valuation service, for a price.

5. silver_star

silver_star Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Leicestershire, England, 3rd Rock From The Sun
    Car:
    W203 C220CDI Auto Elegance
    You are likely as said above to get the best prices from Jewellers that are independent rather then selling it for scrap to the get rich quick companies.

In your shoes I would go to 2-3 jewellers get an "offer" from each and go with the best.

6. neilrr

neilrr MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Various.
Tags: