Old jewellery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
Greetings, Citizens.

With the broad spread of knowledge on here, I wondered if there was anyone who knows a friendly jeweller who could cast an eye over a couple of items?

Background: when my wife's father died a couple of years back she and her sister inherited a box of jewellery, assorted. They have got around to sorting it out a bit, and although most of it looks like tat there are a couple of rings that may be worth a few quid. One in particular I think, the stones are definitely diamonds and although they are significantly included and not particularly well cut this is a ring that dates from early last century. The weight in total I would guess at around a carat (one centre stone and 8 satellites), so not to be sneezed at.

There is no sentimental value associated with this, and Mrs. Gaz and her sister would just like to get a fair price. This is obviously not going to happen if they go to a "WE BUY GOLD!!" outlet, so does anyone have a better suggestion? Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

Gaz

Go round your local 'old-fashioned' goldsmiths who, would you believe it, give more honest and genuine prices than those shysters on TV.

Where do you live?

The Jewellery Quarter in Brum is very good. There's lots of shops within 10 minutes walk of each other so you can tote your stuff round in an hour or so to get a good price

I think Ernest Jones do a valuation service, for a price.

You are likely as said above to get the best prices from Jewellers that are independent rather then selling it for scrap to the get rich quick companies.

In your shoes I would go to 2-3 jewellers get an "offer" from each and go with the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom