Old Man Shouting At Clouds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Haha. I’ve been using one of those recently. 🥳
I bought one for my Mums husband a few years ago as a Christmas present. I’d just like to add at this stage that he’s in his late 70’s and is as fat as a house. 🤣🤣🤣

But there’s no right or wrong surely? Just different opinions. The family having a meal whist on their phones aren’t doing anyone else any harm. And they must like it or they wouldn’t do it.

Each to their own. We’re all different.
Definitely no right or wrong, and definitely different opinions.

My spin on it is that the meal is a brief moment to come together, share life and good food together, then back to your own stuff.

OK, and that eating and drinking consciously is a good way of avoiding that 36 inch waist for us boys in a world full of grazing.

Each to their own, we're all kind of different.

"That discourse between people holding different points of view about a subject but wishing to explore through reasoned discussion."

1989: Hillsborough, surely?

But, in truth, other forces were at play.

Things have moved on a long way since those dark days. Ticketing, stewarding and policing are streets ahead now and this, in club games anyway, stops fans from storming their way in. The proposed rail seating is aimed at stopping all the dangerous overcrowding/surging inside the ground.

Yes, there are still a few morons who go to games but 99% of people are just fine.

If Celtic can do it so can QPR........

My spin on it is that the meal is a brief moment to come together, share life and good food together, then back to your own stuff.
There are actually strong evolutionary factors in humans eating as a group, based upon the scarcity of food, the effort required to secure it and prepare it for consumption, and the mastication required to make meat digestible.

In the first world (horrible expression, but convenient shorthand) food is no longer scarce, and as a result of industrially prepared meals the effort to prepare it for consumption can be minimal (or non-existent if it's purchased as a takeaway). Finally, there is a shift away from meat consumption. All of which make "anytime" eating alone eminently viable.

My personal preference is to eat with others, whether that be just me and Angie or with a group of friends, and while I'm saddened by others choosing not to do that I accept that many of the imperatives that made that the norm no longer exist and that it's their decision to make.

Things have moved on a long way since those dark days. Ticketing, stewarding and policing are streets ahead now and this, in club games anyway, stops fans from storming their way in. The proposed rail seating is aimed at stopping all the dangerous overcrowding/surging inside the ground.

Yes, there are still a few morons who go to games but 99% of people are just fine.

If Celtic can do it so can QPR........
With you all the way on all that.

The all seating / standing ban was a knee-jerk fix whose time has passed.

Enforced eating as a family and all it's rules (no elbows on the table, no talking with your mouth full etc) was usually enforced by parents who like that sort of shit and endured by the kids who just wanted to get the grub down and resume whatever grubby antics they were up to before the meal.

Enforced eating as a family and all it's rules (no elbows on the table, no talking with your mouth full etc) was usually enforced by parents who like that sort of shit and endured by the kids who just wanted to get the grub down and resume whatever grubby antics they were up to before the meal.
What...teaching your kids isn't a parental responsibility?

It's just rules for the sake of it, I would have much preferred to be in the lounge watching TOTP than eating with the old people, they ate so slowly on purpose.
Just to be clear, your profile pic is really you?

Enforced eating as a family and all that shit is an a absolute pleasure and an experience I look forward to. No distractions, good food and drink, great conversations and debates, what’s not to like.

Really important in my immediate and extended family.

Enforced eating as a family and all that shit is an a absolute pleasure and an experience I look forward to. No distractions, good food and drink, great conversations and debates, what’s not to like.
The young ‘uns hate you for it.

You lot are a serious bunch of old farts from which I learn a lot. Best thread in ages - keep it going.

The young ‘uns hate you for it.
It's an interesting point. I used to get a bit fed up at times, especially in my teens but now looking back i'm actually really grateful because it was a regular opportunity for us all to bond as a family. We're really close as a family even now and i think a lot has to do with this daily "ritual" if you like. And we might not have experienced the infamous occasion of Mum throwing the lemon meringue pie at Dad as he said it wasn't very nice just once too often!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom