Old Man Shouting At Clouds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just thinking about this. I wonder if those 2 practices have been slowly phased out because each generation have disliked it? So kind of:

“When I grow up and have kids, I’ll never make them eat food they don’t like and/or make meal times feel like jail!”

I certainly know my wife and I changed it with our daughter. Memories of our parents making us eat food that we found disgusting.
I think you could be right. Though i do actually like the ask to the leave the table part. Many reasons i guess but respect for those that provided/cooked is probably the main one. And i don't think a bit of discipline goes amiss. Though my folks are very working class my Dad especially likes good manners and i guess traditions - such as how to set a table properly etc. He's not a snob or anything like that, quite the opposite but he does like things done properly. I find i'm also very similar! Maybe it's a bit of OCD! Like my wife not warming serving plates - why would you not do that? 🤔

Finally realising why the wife shuts her eyes when we are having sex..... It's because she still hate's to see me having a good time.

Not me , I have a fat $hit at 07:30 sharp , every morning , never fail.

Problem is I don't wake up until 08:00.....
Post of the month that. 👏👏👏😁😂

I think you could be right. Though i do actually like the ask to the leave the table part. Many reasons i guess but respect for those that provided/cooked is probably the main one. And i don't think a bit of discipline goes amiss. Though my folks are very working class my Dad especially likes good manners and i guess traditions - such as how to set a table properly etc. He's not a snob or anything like that, quite the opposite but he does like things done properly. I find i'm also very similar! Maybe it's a bit of OCD! Like my wife not warming serving plates - why would you not do that? 🤔
Yep. Fair play Chris. Same here regarding manors and politeness. Proud to say our daughter has it covered. 🥳

As I've got older, I've noticed that if there's something on the tv that I disagree with, I no longer change channels, but I start shouting at the television instead.

Many a time SWMBO has pointed out to me that actually, the television can't hear me :doh:

The thing I can’t get my head round is all this non-binary stuff. Calling yourself them/they or whatever. I was always bought up to believe if your born with an inny your a girl/she/her and if you was born with an outty you were a boy/he/him.
Not meant in any single way to cause concern I just can’t get my head around it that’s all.
I thought that (inny/outie) was for belly buttons......

I get more than somewhat frustrated by having to wait two months for an overdue annual check-up with my optician, to whom I have paid £10 per month for at least 12 years to get a discount on frames & an annual checkup, and my dog gets his 6 monthly check-up & jabs almost on-demand.

NJSS
Time to move on to a different optician - he is going to miss you!

The thing I can’t get my head round is all this non-binary stuff. Calling yourself them/they or whatever. I was always bought up to believe if your born with an inny your a girl/she/her and if you was born with an outty you were a boy/he/him.
Not meant in any single way to cause concern I just can’t get my head around it that’s all.
Sunday Lunchtimes taught us that there were no hard boundaries or limitations on behaviours. It was all discreetly explained by Julian, Sandy and that, very understanding, Mister Horne.

As ever with Doctors, just because they can, doesn't mean to say that everyone, and it does seem like everyone, needs to be a party of the decision to adjust.

And, all the while, the mainstream of human activity is ignored.

Oh yes - i also seem to be turning into my Dad, much to my wifes horror!
And, after 30 years, my wife has certainly turned into a slightly more modern version of her mother.

Further proof that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Wish I'd known THAT 30-odd years ago.

Just thinking about this. I wonder if those 2 practices have been slowly phased out because each generation have disliked it? So kind of:
“When I grow up and have kids, I’ll never make them eat food they don’t like and/or make meal times feel like jail!”
I certainly know my wife and I changed it with our daughter. Memories of our parents making us eat food that we found disgusting.
You're right.

Which reminds me of this American habit, which I loathe, of people eating separately, and not at the table as well as grazing from the fridge.

Can't understand why people don't take 15-30 minutes to eat something interesting slowly together. To come together for a brief moment, share some news and thoughts, and to leave the table feeling full.

The biggest people I know are all grazers & stuffers. Anxious over-eaters in a hurry, who barely notice what they're eating and that they've eaten.

Last edited:
Can't understand why people don't take 15-30 minutes to eat something interesting slowly together. To come together for a brief moment, share some news and thoughts, and to leave the table feeling full.
Yes, I agree. We not manage breakfast together during the week due to different schedules.

But Diner at the table tech free is a must for us and a nice period of time to enjoy each other’s company.

Our 16 year old daughters boyfriend now spends a fair bit of time with us and has admitted to her that he enjoys (and looks forward to) meal times at our house because it’s something that his family has never done. He’s always been used to split meal times and always in front of the tele.

However, IMHO there’s no right or wrong. Just different people with differing views.

I am truly fed-up with these moaning threads about how grumpy and intolerant we get as we grow older. Utter rubbish. Back in the day people wouldn't even dream of uttering such nonsense. And in the middle of my late morning nap, too. Begone!.

I am truly fed-up with these moaning threads about how grumpy and intolerant we get as we grow older. Utter rubbish. Back in the day people wouldn't even dream of uttering such nonsense. And in the middle of my late morning nap, too. Begone!.
I can't believe you're moaning at a grumpy moaning thread! In my day we never moaned at any thread, in fact, when I grew up in the '60s, I can't remember ever even seeing an internet thread on being grumpy, so it's definitely a recent thing!

Oi! Don't be so ageist! I'll have you know I've been grumpy and intolerant for the past 35 years. Anyhoo, can't hang around here; off to shout at the sparrows for cheeping too loudly 🤬

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom