Old member - coming out of hibernation :) - question re CLA45 or A45 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asad7860

Car
E55 W211
Hi all

I'm thinking of trying different cars in life (AMG cars of course)
Had my 2003 E55 for over 12years and fancy a change
My shortlist includes:
2013 - 2014 A45, CLA45
2015 C63 biturbo (non S)
e63 V8 5.5 (w212) - but fear this will be a newer faster version of my same car - hence is 3rd on this list
I really fancy the 4pot for a change - don't know why - just want to try something lighter and more agile.
The must have for me is Distronic. My wife has a model 3 and I love the radar cruise control.
So firstly apologies if there is already a thread detailing the risks/merits of the A45/C63 - but any comments on what to look out for, things that go wrong.
On my E55 apart from 3 air struts, a supercharger clutch and the odd electrical item, I have found it to be completely bullet proof. (naturally tyres, brakes and other serviceable items are consumed at a high rate)

Hence would really value any brief comments, thoughts, or suggestions

thanks again

Asad

I went from an E55 to an W212 E63 biturbo and don't regret it for a moment.

It's an altogether different experience between the two and the W212 is much more modern although the interior of the W213 makes the W212 seem outdated too.

If you leave the E63 out, I'd go for the C63 biturbo over the A/CLA45 every day. Nothing wrong with the 45's but the M177 is such a peach of an engine it can't be ignored.

The 45 models are fantastic and great cars but they demand to be driven at ten tenths, which is great fun but I found it quite tiring quite quickly.

I was gutted as I had been waiting a couple of years for the original A 45 to be released, when I tried it I knew it wouldn’t fit with the way I drive.

If you prefer the Jekyll and Hyde feel of the E 55 - a trait shared with the later V8 models - then I would suggest the E 63 or maybe the C 63.

I absolutely love driving other peoples 45 cars though.

Really appreciate your comments
Will have a look at the 63 engined cars
My budget means it will be a 2015 C63.
Thanks again to you all

I bought my first C63 to take my stepdad to the NC500 for his 70th birthday. I had the choice of a few things, but narrowed it down to A45, BMW M2 or C63. The A45 initially impressed, but over the course of a weekend it started to come across to me as a bit of a one-trick pony. Quick off the line (thanks to traction) and grippy on the twisties. Soon found it quite tiring though, and you had to keep thrashing to go fast. M2 was lairy. Quick, but wanted to kill you all the time. Engine note uninspiring. C63 floated my boat. Great noise, huge power, fast when you wanted it, but comfortable and relaxing when you wanted to cruise. Turned out to be the perfect choice for that trip. 2800 miles in eight days. Still looked back at it everytime we parked it for the night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom